• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

We caught an osprey..

M. Wilson

So my wife, step son and I were back behind the house checking my cameras and putting out feed for the deer. My Heeler took off chasing something big and dark across the creek. Once we got him under control, we went over there to see what he was after and ill be danger if it wasn’t an injured bird of prey. It took me about an hour, but managed to slip a towel over its head, caught it and got it in a box. We took it to the Chattahoochee wildlife center in Roswell, GA for a hopeful rehab and release. Seeing this bird up close was super cool, but id be lying if I said I wasn’t super nervous to pick this thing up!

Attachments

• 310643B0-4B16-44EB-BFFF-41C9DB1093D4.jpeg
    310643B0-4B16-44EB-BFFF-41C9DB1093D4.jpeg
    668.2 KB · Views: 85
  • A5FE49B3-BA39-481D-B7F1-117290227E4C.jpeg
    A5FE49B3-BA39-481D-B7F1-117290227E4C.jpeg
    593.6 KB · Views: 87
  • 98BDD358-DF93-40D0-8371-ED37FFC5A530.jpeg
    98BDD358-DF93-40D0-8371-ED37FFC5A530.jpeg
    619.8 KB · Views: 87
Very cool. We have an Osprey flying around our house on a regular basis, they look big from a distance, image he was very impressive looking up close and personal. Nice job, hope he makes it back to the wild.

Good job. I like ospreys,we have a nest not far from our house in a beaver swamp on top of one of the dead trees. There is a heron rookery and this was the first year we noticed that an osprey pair took over one of the nests and expanded it. It was pretty cool to see them raise a young one.

At work there is a cell tower right there maybe 60 yds from the shop.....there has been a nest in it since I started working there 11 years ago. Every year ospreys use the nest. Some years it is the same couple returning and some years it isn't. 1 couple had learned when they saw me on the bank feeding the fish it was easy meal time. They would regularly swoop down and catch fish right in front of me 8-10 ft away....so close I would get splashed. I like watching them and seeing the babies grow....

A long time ago I was going to work at my construction job at a home remodel....we were walking up to the house and there was a dead red wing blackbird right by the front door and an injured red shoulder hawk in the bushes....looked likenthe hawk was chasing the bird, bird flew into big window and the hawk couldn't veer off in time and hit the glass too. I ran out to the truck and grabbed my welding gloves and grabbed it up and had a coworker drive me to a bird rehab center. It was surprisingly lightweight but also surprisingly powerful.

Thank u for not being a D-bag like most people and going out of ur way to help out that awesome animal.

Fun fact: ospreys are the most successful, wide spread bird species, having populations on all continents except the poles.

At work there is a cell tower right there maybe 60 yds from the shop.....there has been a nest in it since I started working there 11 years ago. Every year ospreys use the nest. Some years it is the same couple returning and some years it isn't. 1 couple had learned when they saw me on the bank feeding the fish it was easy meal time. They would regularly swoop down and catch fish right in front of me 8-10 ft away....so close I would get splashed. I like watching them and seeing the babies grow....

A long time ago I was going to work at my construction job at a home remodel....we were walking up to the house and there was a dead red wing blackbird right by the front door and an injured red shoulder hawk in the bushes....looked likenthe hawk was chasing the bird, bird flew into big window and the hawk couldn't veer off in time and hit the glass too. I ran out to the truck and grabbed my welding gloves and grabbed it up and had a coworker drive me to a bird rehab center. It was surprisingly lightweight but also surprisingly powerful.

Thank u for not being a D-bag like most people and going out of ur way to help out that awesome animal.

Fun fact: ospreys are the most successful, wide spread bird species, having populations on all continents except the poles.

That’s something like I figured happened. We have a pond here behind the house and I’m assuming it ran into something in flight and injured itself. Also, like you’re saying it was extremely lightweight but so so so powerful. The talons ripped through a beach towel like butter. Definitely an adrenaline rush.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back