• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WE Stepps with cottonwoods

Shortdraw

I hunt a lot of bottom land where I frequently set up in cottonwoods (with my LW sticks). I have read that WE Stepps don't always work so well on certain trees because of their bark. Can anyone speak to how they work w cottonwoods? The bark is pretty darn thick and chunky on a lot of those trees. Thanks!

I’ve got cottonwoods where I hunt too but so far haven’t had to use one. I would imagine it would be tough but you could try and get the standoffs on the “ridge” portion of the bark. Or maybe just use sticks if you have em haha

I have used them in cottonwood trees. The thick bark does tend to compress under the ropes more when caming over the WE steps. I will just cam and then tighten each step as I go. Takes a few extra mins but isn’t hard.

Back