• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WE steps

ekelsey15

Tonight I was able to get set up about 12 feet in the air with 5 steps. I think I am going to try the knaider and swaider next time. But my question is how do you keep the lineman’s belt from catching on the steps when defending. Keep in mind I am leaving them in the tree for practice. I won’t be in the woods so some of this may not be an issue.

Also do you guys recommend keeping the steps in a straight vertical line, going around the tree in a twisting pattern, or offsetting each step left and right, to get up the tree easier?

I use an etrier and a hook, hook also paracord ed to my belt so pull up or lower, I get 20' + with 4 steps.
85adc9bf9286730b1b837c172f675e7b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I found that staggering them by about a half a step width made a huge difference for me. I'm very new to this, but it seemed like I wasn't whacking my knee every step when I staggered them. Let me know if this helps you too, or if you find something that works better for you. Happy hunting!

I use a knaider with the stepps. The use of the knaider necessitates them being straight up the tree, for my skill level any way. Learning how to climb in the dark using the stepps made me simplify a lot of things I was doing.

Gotcha. Told you I was a green horn! I just use steps alone so staggering them works for me but understandable why it wouldn't for your method.

The staggering of the stepps may be causing the lineman’s rope to hang up. You may also not have enough slack in the lineman’s for descending the staggered steps. That’s just a thought though. I don’t ever condone anyone being unsafe for any reason. I have only staggered stepps in the woods when I have needed to get around limbs. When I’m presented with that scenario, I don’t stretch it out between stepps. More importantly, I use my tether as a second lineman’s belt to always stay connected to the tree while maneuvering between the staggered stepps and the limbs.

I'm not leaving steps up for later use so taking them down as I decend means they're out of the way of my linesman rope. Also, the amount I stagger them is very slight. Only about a half step width or about 3". So I'm still stepping on middle of each step. I'm still getting used to these so I may tweek my method as time goes on.

I set my steps as straight as the tree will allow. I use a knaider/swaider. If your hitting your knee then you need enough linesman belt so your knee clears.

Back