• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

WE type steps ROS??

Has anyone ever tried using these or other Wild Edge type steps to do a ring of steps for a platform? Any pics?

You can but the general consensus is they’re a pia to all get set at height as a platform b/c all the ropes overlap they would slip/ shift over the duration of the sit. If someone has some new voodoo then please share

The only way you might get away with it is if you use ratchet straps on the steps to tighten them up enough so they would not slip!! Or like @Bigterp said unless someone has some new vodoo!!!

Forming a ROS with wild edge stepps is not hard once you get it down. Pretty easy actually once you get the hang of it. The problem I see that you'll have with those steps is the straps. Your going to have a hard time not stabbing those straps with the teeth of the steps. It's easier with WEI stepps because the rope is smaller.

I’ve set up a ROS with WE stepps in the yard and if you offset them to avoid rope overlap I found them very stable...may not be easier then a ROS on a strap but easier then a ROS with screw ins

I find that you need to develop a system to make it work, but it's really very simple once you figure it out! I do use the WEI stepps with the rope.

I set my left side step first, then I run the next step's rope through the left step and tie on my next step (keeping the rope to the top of the inside of the left step) slide it to the right side and cam it over. Once my left and right steps are set; I run the rope for my third step through the left step, around the tree, and then through the right step. I orient the rope for the third (center) step to the bottom of the inside of the left and right steps, tie, and then cam it over. It really is fairly easy!

When tied properly, these do NOT slip! Side note, the reason I tie on in this order is so that I have less issues avoiding the other ropes with the standoffs or points.

I’ll echo @Murph4028 and @bowhunthard88. When I was searching for a comfortable stable platform/ROS, I found WEI steps were great. I used the same method as Bowhunthard88 and had no issues. My current setup is Treehopper steps and they just aren’t as stable as the WEI steps (I’m going back to WEI steps this year I think).

Back