• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Weak side shooting

Swoggs29

Is the aero hunter any easier to shoot the weak side? Compared to the tree saddle

I don't think it is much easier. The system is slightly more compact so maybe just a little bit.

To me the key to shoot off the right side of tree while facing the tree (I am right handed) is two steps. One I cross my left foot in front of and then onto the next step to my right. I then twist at the hips until my butt is against the tree (or at least facing it). Then, Becuase I use a short hook up height) I stand pretty much erect or straight up and down. Now I can easily shoot from this side of tree. In fact, I actually prefer to shoot this way when a deer comes from my left to my right behind the tree. I am set up behind the tree and the shot gets better as the deer walks past.

Swoggs29 said:
Is the aero hunter any easier to shoot the weak side? Compared to the tree saddle
I find the Trophyline to be a little easier. Unless you loosen or unbuckle the New Tribe belt while you're hunting. Then they're relatively the same.

DaveT1963 said:
To me the key to shoot off the right side of tree while facing the tree (I am right handed) is two steps. One I cross my left foot in front of and then onto the next step to my right. I then twist at the hips until my butt is against the tree (or at least facing it). Then, Becuase I use a short hook up height) I stand pretty much erect or straight up and down. Now I can easily shoot from this side of tree. In fact, I actually prefer to shoot this way when a deer comes from my left to my right behind the tree. I am set up behind the tree and the shot gets better as the deer walks past.

Im with you Dave, might be the longbow thing? I found this post cause Im having a problem shooting to my strong side. I actually prefer the off side and try to set up like that. Im a lefty, so bare with me. When Im facing the tree on a platform, I can't shoot from the tree(about 1 o'clock ) to about 3 o'clock. Anything past that gets easier. Is the solution to walk to say 3 o'clock? I need to watch your video again Dave. :cool:

kenn1320 said:
DaveT1963 said:

Im with you Dave, might be the longbow thing? I found this post cause Im having a problem shooting to my strong side. I actually prefer the off side and try to set up like that. Im a lefty, so bare with me. When Im facing the tree on a platform, I can't shoot from the tree(about 1 o'clock ) to about 3 o'clock. Anything past that gets easier. Is the solution to walk to say 3 o'clock? I need to watch your video again Dave. :cool:

Yea, I would say either taking one step to your right should help, and you should be able to lean out far enough to clear the tree. You might not even need to take a step, you should be able to just shift your hips to your right. This will take pressure from your feet and put more on your tree strap but it will get you clearance from the tree. I'm sorry, this is way easier for me to do and visualize than it is to describe! (Especially translating it to a lefty! :lol: )

I think a big part of it is string angle. I should have mentioned Im using a 68" recurve. :eek:

kenn1320 said:
I think a big part of it is string angle. I should have mentioned Im using a 68" recurve. :eek:
Yea, I have no experience there! :p

Back