• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Web vs rope aider

bcsportsman

So I'm making my own aiders and I'm looking for the pros and cons of say an inline rope aider vs an offset web aider. Maybe an inline web would be better? I have the capabilities of making both to be safe and solid. So what's everyone's opinion on this?

Offset ones are crazy simple to make and so long as you stiffen the step with something, they stay open really well.

For a 3-step aider it is made with 2 overhand knots and 1 water knot.
All you do is girth hitch it to your stick(s). I guess that makes it 4 total knots then...

The key is making sure each step is perpendicular to the tree you are climbing, this is accomplished with the knots you tie.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Why is that
Ladder aiders need to be set away from the tree more. And when you step into the bottom, the steps above it are pulled closed.

On another thread, someone posted a photo of ladder style on their sticks that looked like it could work...the two sides were spread apart and hung near the ends of each step (double step sticks). But the construction/safety will NOT be as good as a well tied aider or a remade one. It looked like his loops were sewn. And you have to count on them not slipping off the ends.

I make simple one loop out of webbing and insert 9mm rope in it. Hang them off the center beam and over the steps to ge tit away from the tree. I put one long aider on my bottom stick.

Back