• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Webbing aider question

sdoyle1

I’ve got a couple Eastern Woods Outdoors sticks. One I set up with a cam cleat for one sticking. I sewed my own 2 step webbing aider on it. I did two 16” steps in the webbing. It works great but with heavier clothes on and standing in bottom aider step it makes stepping to second aider step slightly difficult some times. I’m considering instead of a two step aider with 16” steps for a total of 32” to go to a four step aider but only 11” steps for a total of 44”. This would get me another foot per move but more importantly I believe it would make it so making the steps on the aider are easier . I’m really just wondering if anyone has tried this or has any insight into why this might not work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No reason it won’t work but, as you’ve probably heard already, the longer the aider the more unstable it is. So practice first and be careful.

I, personally, use a DIY 3-step webbing aider for 1-sticking with 14.5” step spacing. Choosing a good distance between steps all depends on the length of your legs, flexibility and balance/agility. If a 32” aider is working ok for you in most instances, maybe a 36” with 3 steps would be a good balance between getting more length, shorter step spacing and still maintaining stability. Or 3 14” steps for a 42” aider. Up to you to figure it out, I’m afraid...

Last edited:
No reason it won’t work but, as you’ve probably heard already, the longer the aider the more unstable it is. So practice first and be careful.

I, personally, use a DIY 3-step webbing aider for 1-sticking with 14.5” step spacing. Choosing a good distance between steps all depends on the length of your legs, flexibility and balance/agility. If a 32” aider is working ok for you in most instances, maybe a 36” with 3 steps would be a good balance between getting more length, shorter step spacing and still maintaining stability. Or 3 14” steps for a 42” aider. Up to you to figure it out, I’m afraid...

Thanks for the response. The 16” step was ok but once I weighted the bottom step and each side pulled tight to the side of my foot the step got longer. I’ll probably go with the short steps at 44”. If I don’t like the bottom step I just won’t use it or I’ll make another aider. I just wanted to make sure that nobody was going to say the short steps caused issues because of any various reasons.

fe37f0190c08a31dfc8e5d380949fc44.jpg

Back