• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Weird hit

Wyatt_burp

So I have a broken rangefinder, it will be sent back to leoupold to fix, but I thought it was a 35 yard shot, paced it out at 45. Deer was behind a large oak, maybe 7' diameter. Front half stepped out and I took a shot and it she dropped like a spine shot.

Immediately knocked another arrow, she slid down hill, started moving uphill and I noticed that her rear leg, on the side nearer to me was severed at the knee joint.

Now, this area was not visible to me when I shot, I was using my compound where I dont normally miss more than 2", I followed up the initial shot with a 2nd arrow at 35 yards, and that arrow was completely clean, with a solid bit of shaved hair. This all happened 45 minutes before dark, I followed the steady dark red blood for 60 yards then backed off. My plan is to hunt til 9:30 am, then follow the blood until the end.

There is no way I hit a decent hit on a whitetail and the arrow went in, and ricocheted out the back/bottom with enough umph to mostly sever the back leg correct?

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

I doubt you hit her vitals and severed her rear leg. Not impossible but not likely. A deer can do a lot of moving on a 45 yard shot if they are on edge. That doesn’t mean she isn’t dead though. I would definitely follow up as best I could.

Severed meaning missing like gone? Or hanging / dangling?

What arrow weight/broadhead are you shooting?

This isn’t a lesson for you obviously, you’ve made the choice to shoot that distance. But it’s an excellent learning tool for new hunters - the amount of variables added to the equation when you shoot past 30 yards grows, significantly. The odds of success are considerably lower than one might think, regardless of how good of a shot they are.

Leg hit deer don’t typically like to go far if they don’t feel like they have to. If you run into this situation again, trail as if you’re still hunting. You will likely get another shot you can be quiet and slow enough, and see the deer before it sees or hears you.

Good luck keep us posted!

Severed meaning missing like gone? Or hanging / dangling?

What arrow weight/broadhead are you shooting?

This isn’t a lesson for you obviously, you’ve made the choice to shoot that distance. But it’s an excellent learning tool for new hunters - the amount of variables added to the equation when you shoot past 30 yards grows, significantly. The odds of success are considerably lower than one might think, regardless of how good of a shot they are.

Leg hit deer don’t typically like to go far if they don’t feel like they have to. If you run into this situation again, trail as if you’re still hunting. You will likely get another shot you can be quiet and slow enough, and see the deer before it sees or hears you.

Good luck keep us posted!
Dangling, but barely. Rage mechanical chisel tip 100 gr. And yeah, I know I miss judged the distance.

I climbed outta the tree as quick as I could, dropped my pack at the bottom, grabbed my bow and started moving. Heading out around 10 to follow up on blood trail.

Dangling, but barely. Rage mechanical chisel tip 100 gr. And yeah, I know I miss judged the distance.

I climbed outta the tree as quick as I could, dropped my pack at the bottom, grabbed my bow and started moving. Heading out around 10 to follow up on blood trail.

Maybe clipped a twig or leaves between you and deer? That sounds a lot like a deflection.

Maybe clipped a twig or leaves between you and deer? That sounds a lot like a deflection.
That's what I think. I haven't taken a bad shot at a deer in years, but for sure have a new range finder, and will not be making the same mistake again soon.

In Sept the doe I took the arrow changed directions inside her body. She turned from broad side to almost facing away from me. The arrow entered behind the shoulder hit the near side shoulder and redirected out the throat exciting out toward the head. I watched her fall and expire.... She made it 15-20 yds. Not much you can do once you let the arrow fly

Screenshot_20191224-103250~2.png

@Wyatt_burp any luck finding the deer?
Yeah, found where my arrow hit a branch and ricocheted, then jumped the deer in some thick mountain laurel. Deer was running pretty damn fast and will hopefully survive until our next encounter.

Back