• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Well....I did it

sdorton

SH Member
Yesterday evening I SOLD my Mathews...Ever since I took up this hunting style with Traditional Gear I have fell in love with it all over again. This is my 3rd year using a Recurve or Longbow....2nd yr of hunting with them only. I've kept the Wheel bow around as a "crunch" so to speak. Kind of like I did when I quit Dipping. I cared a can of Kodiak around in my pocket for a yr or longer. Don't really know why....Just a mind thing I guess. But today I was tried of looking at the Wheel bow setting there collecting dust and posted it for sale. Didn't take long and it was gone and BOY did it feel good!!!

How long did it take you guys to finally sale everything related to your Wheel bows? Just curious...more bored than anything right now.

Congratulations!
It is a goal of mine to follow your lead one day.
( I can’t get within 20 yd range of anything but squirrels, this year.)
I still plan to stick it out. I think hunting in New England is for people that find gratification in suffering .

Still have my last 2 compounds. Every time I have said something about getting rid of them the wife talks me out of it. Hauled the Obsession to CO this year as a back up in case of a catastrophic failure with my longbow but didnt shoot a single shot with it before the trip.

I own no compounds right now except my daughter's. My problem is the periodic back/shoulder/arm issues. Right now, my right arm screams from time to time from a finger release. Goes straight from my three fingers up the top of my forearm to my elbow.

With a wrist strap release.....no issues.

I own no compounds right now except my daughter's. My problem is the periodic back/shoulder/arm issues. Right now, my right arm screams from time to time from a finger release. Goes straight from my three fingers up the top of my forearm to my elbow.

You can shoot a stick bow with a release. I have recently found my right wrist is worn out and bone on bone. That's my draw hand. Fortunately pulling the string separates the joint so no issues shooting yet. But my backup will be a release on my recurve.

Congrats!

I went from compound to recurve in 1992. I sold my compound in 1992.
Then I hit a slump in my shooting around 2000 so I bought an old compound and killed 2 bucks with it that year. But for me, I felt like I betrayed myself. I did not feel good about either of those 2 bucks. That compound gathered dust in the closet for at least 10 years until I gave it away to someone on this forum.
These days, I won't even hold a compound when a friend wants to show me their "bow".
LOL

Put a D-Loop on your stick bow.

Yesterday evening I SOLD my Mathews...Ever since I took up this hunting style with Traditional Gear I have fell in love with it all over again. This is my 3rd year using a Recurve or Longbow....2nd yr of hunting with them only. I've kept the Wheel bow around as a "crunch" so to speak. Kind of like I did when I quit Dipping. I cared a can of Kodiak around in my pocket for a yr or longer. Don't really know why....Just a mind thing I guess. But today I was tried of looking at the Wheel bow setting there collecting dust and posted it for sale. Didn't take long and it was gone and BOY did it feel good!!!

How long did it take you guys to finally sale everything related to your Wheel bows? Just curious...more bored than anything right now.
I have been training since spring with a longbow. I wanted to make the switch for a long time but wont do it until I’m confident in my shooting.. ive gotten to the point where I can hit a 6 inch target at 20 yards about 75% of the time, where the other 25% of the time I’m just off, or the occasional big miss. the thing is.. with my compound, I’m hitting bullseyes out to 60 yards nearly 100% of the time. My goal is to eventually switch to longbow but I’m hesitant because 1) I am afraid to make wounding shots.. and wondering if its ethical to switch bows, when I know I can make better shots with my compound.. and 2) Ive killed bucks at 40-50 yards with my compound that I would cry if had a longbow and couldnt take that shot..

my question is.. when did you feel confident enough to make the switch? And have you noticed less lethal hits since youve hunted with a longbow?

Sell something? Why? You don’t just get rid of something. You keep it forever and ever until you die and your people have to come in and go through all your stuff.

Seriously though, I just bought a flagship compound last year so there’s no way I could sell it to hunt with the Sage. But I am looking forward to the day I’m confident enough to lay down the funds on a custom stick bow.

I started with a stickbow as a kid and it was all I ever shot. Figured I "needed" a compound and bought one in 2009 and used it for half a season and sold it. Missed a deer at close range with it because I used the wrong pin. That was the last time I ever shot one and have never once missed it. It's all in what you're used to I think.

I like being self sufficient and being able to make my own strings easily, not needing a bow press or a laser or really any special tools.

In the craze of lightweight mobile hunting, I'm surprised that guys still tote a heavy compound with all the trimmings. Some folks will spend $500 to save a pound on sticks or a platform.

My bows weigh a pound or a fuzz more ready to rock and roll

2) Ive killed bucks at 40-50 yards with my compound that I would cry if had a longbow and couldnt take that shot..

until you get past this it will be hard for you to switch. I had three good bucks between 20 and 35 yds last year, and two really good bucks at 35 the year before. They all would be dead with a compound but, it doesn’t bother me at all. I am choosing to limit myself and the satisfaction from killing the deer I do, outweigh the disappointment from the ones I dont.

As far as your range just figure out what distance you can put 100% of your shots in that 6” target and don’t shoot past that distance. If it’s 10 yards, go get within 10 yds of a deer.

Last edited:
Someone tell me what my lefty 2016 Elite Synergy is worth and I might just sell it. Been tempted to post it several times but I couldn’t bring myself to it. I haven’t killed with a stickbow yet but it’s my goal this year so I haven’t even looked at my compound since last season.

Someone tell me what my lefty 2016 Elite Synergy is worth and I might just sell it. Been tempted to post it several times but I couldn’t bring myself to it. I haven’t killed with a stickbow yet but it’s my goal this year so I haven’t even looked at my compound since last season.
Are you asking how much I would pay for it?

Bowhunting should be a close range endeavor. And it's the most exciting when it is. I can't imagine killing a buck 50 yards away, it would detract from the accomplishment if I did.

The trick is to get within wolf distance. That's the accomplishment.

When the world shut down in March of 2020, I sold my $500 bow press, bow, and all things Compound related. Haven’t looked back and that was 2 full seasons and 4 deer later.

As to the question above regarding when I felt proficient, it was from the get go. I knew if I was only accurate to 5 yards, that’s how close I had to get to loose an arrow at a deer. I accept my limitations and go hunt.

Back