• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

well that sucks

DaveT1963

Vendor Rep
kayak 3 miles to come in from back side. see 2 does and a small buck.... coyote was harassing them. get to the tree, set up at 2:30PM.... then at 2:45 here comes a crossbow hunter, Jean's, black shirt and walking right through funnel..... not happy.

kayak 3 miles to come in from back side. see 2 does and a small buck.... coyote was harassing them. get to the tree, set up at 2:30PM.... then at 2:45 here comes a crossbow hunter, Jean's, black shirt and walking right through funnel..... not happy.
Prime example of a post demonstrating the need for a "dislike" button

Sent from my LG-US701 using Tapatalk

I feel your pain. I went into an oak ridge funnel yesterday morning. After hiking in from the north which included scaling a deep ravine in the dark I got set up a good 45minutes before it started to break daylight. As it started to get light enough to shoot I see a flashlight coming down the ridge right at me! I shined my light to let him know I was there so he veered off into the bottom of the ravine I expect the deer to come through from the crop fields. He walked through where the deer come from and then set up in a horrible spot for the wind we had. Oh well I used the walk out to scout and found a couple solid spots. Hope your luck gets better!

I’ve been nervous of this myself. I’ve been going into a spot a way a “secret” way I found. Just waiting for someone to come in on me from the other way lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After working on an 8000+ acre public land hunting area for nearly 20 years, I'm convinced there are no "secret" spots. Just when you think that you've found one......stuff like this happens. And it seems to becoming more prevalent in my area, the farther that one packs in bc many people have the same idea.

I'm thinking of hunting the parking areas next season, they may very well have the least hunting pressure on the entire property!

The only way to secure a secret spot is to independently own the land, and erect fencing.

There is a mantra of "hunt deeper" to avoid hunter pressure, and it's a memo we have all received.
Additionally a water route to get in deep, is another tactic which has been pushed heavily lately.
Adopting these tactics should be considered a new norm, and not ahead of the curve.

The only way to secure a secret spot is to independently own the land, and erect fencing.

There is a mantra of "hunt deeper" to avoid hunter pressure, and it's a memo we have all received.
Additionally a water route to get in deep, is another tactic which has been pushed heavily lately.
Adopting these tactics should be considered a new norm, and not ahead of the curve.
You are absolutely correct. "Who Moved My Cheese" isn't just a good business book. The message applies to hunters as well.

I was going to my stand opening day and walked by a guy in his stand I didn't know was there. Half hour later he got a doe. Just goes to show all is not lost.

Earlier this year I had two guys park a truck and walk past me on either side of the finger of woods I was hunting. I could just barely see my truck and their truck through the trees from my stand. As it got closer to dark I had one deer slip behind me in the bushes. Then right at end of shooting light, here comes one guy already headed back to the truck. When I lost sight of him, I looked down and there was a deer standing at 20 yards. Having other hunters come thru definitely doesn’t guarantee a ruined hunt, but it does suck when some guy Elmer Fudds through the good spot where the deer are supposed to come from.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I narrowed a doe just at last light. My point was that I went through a couple hours and effort to get around to the back door only to have someone stink up the funnel with ground sent… that's what happens on public land. My trip out of the wood took almost 4 hours and I didn't get home till well after midnight.

I narrowed a doe just at last light. My point was that I went through a couple hours and effort to get around to the back door only to have someone stink up the funnel with ground sent… that's what happens on public land. My trip out of the wood took almost 4 hours and I didn't get home till well after midnight.

That really does suck! Do you think the other guy kayaked in also?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

no he walked in from the road hence he walked right through the funnel the bucks use

Last edited:
I was hunting many years ago on public land. I found a great spot plenty of big buck sign. The next weekend the season would be open so I get to the one tree I had picked out 430 am . Here comes a guy up the hill with a flashlight crashing thru the brush. He yells to me in a loud voice [ hey man you see my ladder stand up that way ] So I tell the guy if you are going to hunt here I will find another spot . I head down the hill having no idea where I was going or were or where I was going to hunt. Anyway it cracking day so I find a tree and set up . Its not a great spot I think to myself oh well . About 10 am I look behind me there stands a 8 point with two does . I kill the 8 point the next weekend in about the same spot .
It can be tough at times but dont give up .

My hunt this morning went almost the opposite. Hiked in about 2.5 miles get set up and at day break an air boat comes powering up on the bank right next to me:confused: Not much you can do when it's public land.

Back