• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Wet rope rappeling

devildog

So I had to rappel with the Safeguard in the rain for the first time. I use the Canyon 9mm rope and after it gets wet rappelling is not smooth, the rope will give a few inches at a time and is really jerky. I have a lot of rappelling experience from the military and it was still pretty weird feeling. Just wanted to warn everyone before they have to do it.

So I had to rappel with the Safeguard in the rain for the first time. I use the Canyon 9mm rope and after it gets wet rappelling is not smooth, the rope will give a few inches at a time and is really jerky. I have a lot of rappelling experience from the military and it was still pretty weird feeling. Just wanted to warn everyone before they have to do it.

Which canyon rope are you using? Elite or C-IV? Thanks for the heads up. If they’re all jerky when wet I’ll go back to 8mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simple to not let it get wet, should be able to keep it covered even while going down.

Simple to not let it get wet, should be able to keep it covered even while going down.

I tend to use my rapell rope as a tether when one sticking. I need to consciously think to use my tether when wet out and save my rapell rope for the trip down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have hunted on rainy days and thru plenty of deluge storms. There's plenty of things I have experienced... like realizing my friction hitch is slipping or that my rain gear isn't actually waterproof... but i never needed to worry about the rappel because i use a munter. I can't drop it, and it always works.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I really do not think it it is easy to keep the rope dry in a rain storm. Besides 8 foot of the rope the rest was in my dump pouch on my pack, and the whole ride down was not fun. Maybe it is caused more from the safeguard being wet instead of the rope? Either way if you are using your rappel line for a tether it is pretty hard to not let it get wet.

As DeerLaughAtMe said, use it only for rappelling when wet, switch over to a tether when it starts to rain if you’re going to remain hunting longer.

I really do not think it it is easy to keep the rope dry in a rain storm. Besides 8 foot of the rope the rest was in my dump pouch on my pack, and the whole ride down was not fun. Maybe it is caused more from the safeguard being wet instead of the rope? Either way if you are using your rappel line for a tether it is pretty hard to not let it get wet.
I agree. And further feel it's unnecessary to have both a Rappel rope and a Tether or Climbing Rope. Last year, I took my 100ft of Oplux, crammed it in a 5 gallon bucket of water, soaked it overnight, and then climbed and Rappeled on it to make sure everything was good. The test was driven by the requirement, and the requirement is : The system must operate reliably when soaking wet.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've had great success rappelling with my Oplux + figure 8 + backup distel hitch after both torrential rain and sleet.

I wish I was a headlight on a north-bound train

Back