• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What’s one odd tactic or strategy you’ve used

PancreasBroke

Looking for fun reads.

What is an odd or out of the box strategy you use or have tried while hunting? Doesn’t have to have worked.

I sometimes will carry a shirt from my dirty laundry and hang it in a tree, then I’ll hunt 100 yards down wind of it. Ive had deer avoid my shirt and I ambushed them.

Can’t say this is too odd but it’s definitely a strategy. I use a couple times a yr. I use other hunters in knowing that they will be walking around moving dear to my advantage.

last Saturday was the opening day of muzzleloader, and I used that to my advantage to harvest the eight point like killed this year

When I’m about 15 minutes from coming down, I will act like I’m on the phone and loudly announce something like, “yes dear, I’m on my way back. I just lowered my bow and I’m climbing down as we speak”. Then I grab my bow and wait…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Before my Dad passed away he was a barber. I would get hair clippings from his shop and fill cheese cloth bags with them. If I had an area were the deer needed to be funneled in closer I could hang the bags in trees to push them away from that area and closer to my set.

I
Looking for fun reads.

What is an odd or out of the box strategy you use or have tried while hunting? Doesn’t have to have worked.

I sometimes will carry a shirt from my dirty laundry and hang it in a tree, then I’ll hunt 100 yards down wind of it. Ive had deer avoid my shirt and I ambushed them.
Many years ago. I kept seeing deer crossing railroad tracks from a stand just inside the woods. They were crossing next to an elevated platform next to the tracks that had lights above it and also had a metal ladder going up to the platform. It was used to changed bulbs for the railroad. I crawled up it the next morning and had deer cross tracks just out of range. Then I heard a train coming and got the hell down and out of there. Won’t do that again! Not a recommended hunting method!

Make a little ruckus kicking leaves around on the ground during pre-rut or rut. Very counterintuitive when we are trying to be so quiet, but bucks within earshot will often mistake it for another buck working a scrape or licking branch and come to investigate. Basically akin to hitting a grunt call or rattle antlers, but it's rarely talked about.

A family member of mine owned a small piece of land, just a few acres but it butts up against 300 acres of posted land, prob half farm, half woods and it holds some big bucks. I tried hunting it one year and watched this buck come out the same spot every night chasing doe and never came my direction but it kept me coming back. Last day I could hunt there I took my surf rod with a big weight and tied a rag to it, soaked it in doe pee and casted across the middle of the field and reeled in. No big Buck came out that night but I did have a small buck follow it right back to me. I called it fishing for horns.

Last edited:
A family member of mine owned a small piece of land, just a few acres but it butts up against 300 acres of posted land, prob half farm, half woods and it holds some big bucks. I tried hunting it one year and watched this buck come out the same spot every night chasing doe and never came my direction but it kept me coming back. Last day I could hunt there I took my surf rod with a big weight and tied a rag to it, soaked it in doe pee and casted across the middle of the field and reeled in. No big Buck came out that night but I did have a small buck follow it that right back to me. I called it fishing for horns.
Now that is a first lol

Not that original, and can't top the fishing for horns for sure but my first season hunting I did quite a few hang-n-hopes over trails. I've found out since those trails were 98% used by humans 1.5% by feral dogs and .5% by squirrels. It didn't seem odd to me at the time hanging over this "heavy use game trail". Certainly seems odd now that I know a bit more.

Only thing that comes to mind is I did a hail mary mobile corn feeder hunt one time where I packed a feeder and corn fairly deep in in multiple trips. I hunted it one time only a week and a half later and by good fortune shot my biggest buck by 40” under it. Maybe I should just keep doing that.

Make a little ruckus kicking leaves around on the ground during pre-rut or rut. Very counterintuitive when we are trying to be so quiet, but bucks within earshot will often mistake it for another buck working a scrape or licking branch and come to investigate. Basically akin to hitting a grunt call or rattle antlers, but it's rarely talked about.

i was loud setting sticks one day (i think it was a hickory), and a 6 point came in to investigate and busted me setting up

Works! I’ve had turkeys come in as well!

I had a camera on a crop field that always had tons of deer and bucks on it, but the the two times I tried to hunt it I heard deer blow and never saw anything even though the wind was in my favor. I figured they were watching me walk in and set up. So the next season I had had my hunting partner drive me out on a 4wheeler and I had him start a chainsaw and make a bunch of racket while I set up my sticks and tether. Then I hid behind the tree and he drove away on the 4wheeler. I few minutes later I slowly climbed the tree hiding behind it. I saw a ton of deer that including some nice bucks that night. Never got a shot, but excited to hunt the same way at that spot this year.

When I’m about 15 minutes from coming down, I will act like I’m on the phone and loudly announce something like, “yes dear, I’m on my way back. I just lowered my bow and I’m climbing down as we speak”. Then I grab my bow and wait…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
We do the same thing in the fishing boat sort of, I will say either, “We should go fish Micheal Bay.” , “We should go over and fish Guantanamo Bay.”, or the old standby ,”This lake is dead, there are no fish here, we should go to a real lake.”… and 60% of the time… It works everytime.

Walking in on extremely noisy leaves I'd bring a simple push button turkey call and hit a few cherps every once in a while as I walk. During turkey season I've he'd deer stare at me 20-30 yards away ad as soon as I hit the call they relaxed and went about their day.

Back