• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What 5 step aider brand model

ChetterB

I have 4 wild edge steps and would like to try the 5 step aider method of climbing. Which 5 step aider works the best and where can I buy it please, thanks.

I have a 4 step Metolis that I really like Not sure if they make a 5 step. Someone on here said they had a Black Diamond brand 5 step that they were using.

I have the 5 step Kailas that G2 recommended in his video.
https://www.amazon.com/KAILAS-Aider...step+aider&dpPl=1&dpID=312cNncyiNL&ref=plSrch

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I have the same aider and have had zero issues with it. Packs up perfectly in the bottom of the WE bag along with 4 steps, and I can get to over 30 ft with 4 steps and the aider. I don't use the knaider I made, I found it easier with just the 5 step aider. Its a great climbing system.

Last edited:
i like black diamond personally it seems to be the stiffest and stays open good. it may not be a big deal until the layers and winter boots come

I use the black diamond five step also. I would stay away from any labeled as alpine aiders. They are lighter but not as user friendly.

I have the BD and the kailas

The BD is better IMO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have the same one, same reason G2. At first I thought it was dainty but it works nicely and packs away nicely. I have no issues using it I like using it on my Lone Wolf sticks.
It felt a little sketchy the first few times I tried it, but like most things, it has been better each time and I plan to stick with it now. This is not a method to try without practicing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Can you provide specifics as to why you prefer the BD? Do they both work well?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Takes a larger boot and stays open better but packs up poorly

Correspondence with Carl @ckossuth regarding the possibility of making an custom etrier (aider) may be right around the corner. He has been brain-storming and collecting ideas to put together an etrier specifically for tree-climbing hunters, (not for rock climbers in small agile footwear). My take on it is that if Carl is making an etrier; that's the one I want. He's a master of design and craftsmanship, as evidenced by his work on the Mantis and his latest creation, the "One and Done" Versa Strap and Versa-Lite straps.
Go Carl,... go Carl,...go Carl....

Correspondence with Carl @ckossuth regarding the possibility of making an custom etrier (aider) may be right around the corner. He has been brain-storming and collecting ideas to put together an etrier specifically for tree-climbing hunters, (not for rock climbers in small agile footwear). My take on it is that if Carl is making an etrier; that's the one I want. He's a master of design and craftsmanship, as evidenced by his work on the Mantis and his latest creation, the "One and Done" Versa Strap and Versa-Lite straps.

2x

I’ll second that!

In the evolution of 4/5 step aiders have opinions changed since January? I am considering trying the multi-step aider in my climbing system. Any new products or options?

I’ve got a couple of the CMI 5 step that I really like using in combination with WE steps. I keep one in my pack as insurance in case I drop the main one which is CAYG.

I’ve changed my system. I’m using the lone wolf hand climber seat. The five step aider is small enough that I’ll keep it in my pack just in case I need it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the Kailas also for the second half of last season. Great with practice but very small diameter trees will result in kickout. Need to be able to plant toe solidly to use effectively. I am going to continue use it, 3 steps and 21 feet, love it.

Back