• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

what about noise- specifically when setting sticks?

thedutchtouch

SH Member
so with all the lengths many hunters go to silence metal on metal, be stealthy when walking in etc... how does the noise that setting a stick makes factor in? not as big of a deal because it's a slightly more natural sound than metal on metal? seems like the scraping of the stand-offs against the bark when initially setting the stick is the loudest part of the whole process but i dont have enough experience to know how much it matters.

PLEASE: no SRT/DRT suggestions (i think it has it's place, and may try in the future though i suck at throwing), we're assuming we'll be using sticks (and potentially platform) for this discussion.

If the only noise I make is the scraping on the bark of setting the sticks, I consider that a huge win. When compared with the noise I made walking in, that is a total non-concern to me. There are all kinds of noises in the woods that deer will tolerate. Metal is very unnatural and gets them moving. The tiny noise from setting the stick is nothing to worry about in my opinion....

Last edited:
I agree with @dlist777 and @Weldabeast
Think about all of the sounds you hear in the woods that make you look to investigate once you are settled, there's A LOT!!! From that little deer mouse down in the leaves, squirrel claws on tree bark, to the owl that lands in a tree right next to you and makes you sh!t your pants. I wouldn't stress about a little bark scraping. The only noise I have found recently that is LOUD and I cant figure out, is something makes a very loud pop when I put weight into my Phantom while climbing or initially settling in, almost like my bridge slips on one of the loop balls or like my prusik knot slipped. I just can't seem to figure it out!!! (Suggestions welcomed btw)

As far as my technique for setting sticks, cinch em tight and put pressure on gradually so that it isn't as harsh of a sound, once pretty well set, give it a little bounce to be sure.

If you've ever heard a porcupine climb a tree you know how much noise they make. IMO the light sound of a stick/boots scraping on the bark of a tree is a completely natural sound not likely to be worrisome to a deer.

i've never heard a porcupine climb a tree but i'll take your word for it. sounds good, looks like the noise is natural enough so all good. thanks all!

The only noise I have found recently that is LOUD and I cant figure out, is something makes a very loud pop when I put weight into my Phantom while climbing or initially settling in, almost like my bridge slips on one of the loop balls or like my prusik knot slipped. I just can't seem to figure it out!!! (Suggestions welcomed btw)
[/QUO

I get that noise too. I'm pretty sure It's those bridge loop adjuster balls. The loop slips over one adjustment.

To minimize bark noise I pull my stick out as much as I can get and bring it down then against the tree, seems to help. That was with the versa strap, I just changed my beast sticks to a rope cam, that slack may not be there now.

I agree with @dlist777 and @Weldabeast
Think about all of the sounds you hear in the woods that make you look to investigate once you are settled, there's A LOT!!! From that little deer mouse down in the leaves, squirrel claws on tree bark, to the owl that lands in a tree right next to you and makes you sh!t your pants. I wouldn't stress about a little bark scraping. The only noise I have found recently that is LOUD and I cant figure out, is something makes a very loud pop when I put weight into my Phantom while climbing or initially settling in, almost like my bridge slips on one of the loop balls or like my prusik knot slipped. I just can't seem to figure it out!!! (Suggestions welcomed btw)

As far as my technique for setting sticks, cinch em tight and put pressure on gradually so that it isn't as harsh of a sound, once pretty well set, give it a little bounce to be sure.
I've noticed that ill get a pop from the knot on my tether rolling and settling in sometimes. Its just a pop the 1st time I add weight.

how does the noise that setting a stick makes factor in? not as big of a deal because it's a slightly more natural sound than metal on metal? seems like the scraping of the stand-offs against the bark when initially setting the stick is the loudest part of the whole process but i dont have enough experience to know how much it matters.

Here is my experience this year, Nov 6 to be exact during my Rutcation. Found where a Nice 10 was bedding off the point of a swamp island, I bumped him the day before, Nov 5.

Came back in at 2:40 Nov 6 to hopefully pull off the ole "bump and dump" assuming he would be bedded there again and move right at last light on account of the heat, mid 70s. Really the only tree to set up in was only about 45 yards or less from where he was presumably bedded. Real risky but i was running out of vacation days and the WI weather was super warm all week so the hunting was tough, time to be aggressive. Well, I quietly set up my sticks, climbed the tree, set my platform, and was just setting my tether and removing my lineman's belt and getting ready to pull my bow up when I look out at the cedar on the edge of the cattails and there he was coming out!

Damn Buck got up and moved at 2:58 in 75 degree heat with me starting to set up 45 yards away 18 minutes prior and he never had a clue I was there. Only problem, bow was still on the ground attached to my pull up rope. I tried in vane to slowly pull it up as he continued to close the distance to 15 yards broadside but I just couldn't pull it up quick enough before he slid by me, a real heartbreaker!! I had him but he moved much earlier than expected!

Moral of the story though, if you're careful, deliberate, slow and quiet the sticks being set shouldn't alarm most deer if you avoid metal on metal noise. This buck was 40-45 yards from me and never knew what was up.

Nice story SD. This past year was the first year I attempted to set up real close to bedding.

First time I was down the edge of old field probably 60-70 yard away maybe closer. I lost concentration and pulled a zipper too quickly. I heard a crashing deer.

Second time I was much closer 40 or so yards away. I pulled it off and was finally at the top and boom a doe jumps up and runs right under my tree. Not sure why maybe my scent swirled to her, or she was just generally scared.

When I did these stealth setups I felt better going up and down the tree rather than hang my sticks off my saddle and try in it on climb up.

Might even sound like a buck rubbing a tree and draw them in. I'm slow and careful when I'm setting mine but don't worry too much about it.

If the only noise I make is the scraping on the bark of setting the sticks, I consider that a huge win. When compared with the noise I made walking in, that is a total non-concern to me. There are all kinds of noises in the woods that deer will tolerate. Metal is very unnatural and gets them moving. The tiny noise from setting the stick is nothing to worry about in my opinion....
That's what I keep thinking. The people that say they sneak into a deer bedding area and the deer don't know they are there are not correct, IMHO. I used to still hunt and when I was doing it right it would take me 10 minutes to walk 10 feet without making a sound that I could hear. The deer probably heard something. It would take me all day to walk to my stand at that pace. LOL.

That's what I keep thinking. The people that say they sneak into a deer bedding area and the deer don't know they are there are not correct, IMHO. I used to still hunt and when I was doing it right it would take me 10 minutes to walk 10 feet without making a sound that I could hear. The deer probably heard something. It would take me all day to walk to my stand at that pace. LOL.
There are times when you certainly can slip in undetected either due to wind or rain. Also, it is not uncommon for folks to prep access ahead of time by raking a trail out to the dirt. On a calm day during a dry weather period when everything is loud and crunchy, you probably arent going to be able to get super close undetected. When conditions are right though you can get stupid close.

The swamp Island I happened to be on was almost 100% large Cedar trees. The entire island is covered in a thick mat of old fallen cedar needles/leaves or whatever you call em. Its like walking on a thick comforter, completely silent and with the low hanging branches you can approach this buck bed completely unseen and unheard.

When the buck got up at 2:58 I assure you he was not spooked or had any idea I was there. The breeze was straight from him to me and he walked slowly and deliberately right to me on his well established trail, nibbling on this and that as he slowly worked his way past me to the main woods. He had no idea I was there.

Id have a picture of him here if he had literally moved another 2 minutes later as I would have had my bow up the tree with me instead of lying on the ground. Just dumb luck on his part. His trail brought him by broadside at 15 yards and he was totally relaxed, he would have been dead.

Now, im not saying its easy to set up that close or that I always want to but with the super hot weather, lack of deer movement in the hardwoods, and my vacation coming to an end I pushed the envelope and it almost paid off, so close!

There are times when you certainly can slip in undetected either due to wind or rain. Also, it is not uncommon for folks to prep access ahead of time by raking a trail out to the dirt. On a calm day during a dry weather period when everything is loud and crunchy, you probably arent going to be able to get super close undetected. When conditions are right though you can get stupid close.
Most every time I have raked out an access trail the deer take it over and start using it as their own :rage:

I think a lot of times we get j to our own heads. I have shot double digit numbers of deer using my climber during the middle of the day and at dark while climbing. Bark being scratched is a normal sound in the woods. A 2 footed animal walking without fear is not. No animal walks fast and straight through the woods. Squirrels, raccoons, opossums, and birds all climb trees around me. Deer scratch them. With all that being said, unless you are slamming your climbing sticks against the tree, the little sound you are making are ok. Deer will actually be more curious than get spoked. I used to always climb with my rifle on the climber (without a bullet in the chamber) Saddle hunting doesn't lend itself to climbing with a rifle or crossbow.

I've setup 50 yards from bedded does by accident beforevand they fed to me before dark . I setup 90 yards from the buck I killed 2 weeks ago. Just don't clank stuff.

I try not to make a habit of doing this though

so with all the lengths many hunters go to silence metal on metal, be stealthy when walking in etc... how does the noise that setting a stick makes factor in? not as big of a deal because it's a slightly more natural sound than metal on metal? seems like the scraping of the stand-offs against the bark when initially setting the stick is the loudest part of the whole process but i dont have enough experience to know how much it matters.

PLEASE: no SRT/DRT suggestions (i think it has it's place, and may try in the future though i suck at throwing), we're assuming we'll be using sticks (and potentially platform) for this discussion.

I had a nice old 8 point 40 yards from me I saw As I was halfway up the tree - so I had two sticks that scraped back and then I slowly and quietly as possible set the last stick and it still scraped bark loud when I put my weight on it. The buck glanced my way but didn’t give a s***. I hunt public pressured land. I’m convinced some creature scraped bark often...

Back