• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What are the minimum and preferred weight ratings for a bridge?

PhilSch

I'm asking because I was thinking of using 1" tubular webbing which seems fairly popular but all I have found is rated under 4000 lbs.

1 inch tubular climbing spec is usually 4400, regular tube is 4000, knots will reduce the load rating as much as 40-50%. I use it on my bridge. Put a stitch or safety behind your overhand knot to ensure there’s no slippage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still puts you at a working load of about 700lbs

Lots of stuff like this out there, for example below from REI. Are these safe for use as a bridge? Or as a bridge backup.
Bridge wrap around one loop and carabiner to other loop.

1564072462527.png

You’re going to make bridge out of it?

Lots of us used to run 1” climbing spec tubular webbing as bridges when the Sit & Drag first got really discovered. Heck, I ran one until a year and a half ago. My favorite part of using one was being able to adjust it to find my optimum length. Make sure you use a slip free knot, of course.

................................................................................All climbing methods, platforms, saddle designs, and/or use of materials possibly mentioned in the post above are not peer reviewed for safety, and should only be used as an example of my own method. Do your own research and testing before becoming confident in any DIY solution to support your life.
-IkemanTx

1 inch tubular climbing spec is usually 4400, regular tube is 4000, knots will reduce the load rating as much as 40-50%. I use it on my bridge. Put a stitch or safety behind your overhand knot to ensure there’s no slippage.

I have looked at a dozen different 1" climb rated tubular webbings and all are rated at 4000 lbs. Please show me where it is available at 4400 lbs. Thanks.

https://www.cmcpro.com/equipment/flat-web/

I link is for flat rescue webbing that I found and bought 100' of it. It is rated for 6000lbs or 26kN. I will use it for my tether and lineman's belt and a DIY saddle once I figure out what else I'm going to use. I bought it because while 4000#'s is good...6000#'s is better.

I have looked at a dozen different 1" climb rated tubular webbings and all are rated at 4000 lbs. Please show me where it is available at 4400 lbs. Thanks.

I just got in the webbing that I have linked...6000lbs breaking or 26.7kN. This is rescue webbing used by mountaineers and those in the rescue business. I compared it to my 1" tubular webbing and it was a significant difference.

Here’s one at 4900, ive seen the 4400 but guess it’s not as standard as I thought in my original comment, varies a bit I guess

Will prob feel a bit stiffer, the tube is pretty soft. But yes it should work fine

Back