• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What are the most packable climbing sticks?

Letemgrowitllshow

I currently have cut down hawk heliums and use a moveable aider. They stack together ok but it takes some fiddling around to get them stacked solid.

Wondering what you all think is the most packable stick??

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk

I would tell you off the shelf with no mods the tightest fitting sticks and easiest to pack are the Beast sticks. They are light and bite the tree. They are expensive though at $80.00 per stick. Yes Dan sells them by the stick. Spacing is 22” between steps. 24” total stick. I personally like-shorter spacing. They are a 2 sided step. Quality is excellent. If you are going to get sticks, they get my vote.

I have Helium’s, they are ok for a smaller guy. I had them flexing under me first time I used them. I put them away. I will either sell them or one of my kids can use them.

I have XOP’S. I used them last night and had the locking mechanism get twisted on me. ( (The Sticks are fine.) On closer inspection there is a pin that securs the male end (bolt) on the locking mechanism that hold it in place. Also, I had left them in back of truck and it rained. I noted rust on some of the bolts. (Yet my Beast sticks were in the back as well and there was no rust on them.). The new XOP’S is a good single step stick, with great spacing for my size 14 foot. There are trade offs I accept be a big guy. I will take a look at them over the weekend and if I cannot fix I will send back to XOP.

I had lone wolf and gave them to a younger hunter. The problem I had was there was not enough room with the stand off. I had nothing more than a toe hold. Yet everyone company shoots for the quality of lone wolf.

Don’t give up on the WE’S. If do not like them for climbing, you can use them for some presets or keep a single as a hand hold for helping you get onto & off your platform. Or if you want to space out your sticks you can use them between the sticks.

Another thought is too use the WE’S as you starter steps at the base of the tree. Whether it be for sticks or using it with knaider/swaider or to get over base of the tree using a lone wolf climbing seat.

Last edited:
I use Muddy Pro's and was wondering if anyone has ever integrated a backpack strap to carry these. Maybe with a backpack strap attached somehow they might be centered down the middle of your back for more evenly dispersed weight? Walk longer into the woods in comfort. Let me know if anyone has ever done this. I would like to try it. Thanks!

I would tell you off the shelf with no mods the tightest fitting sticks and easiest to pack are the Beast sticks. They are light and bite the tree. They are expensive though at $80.00 per stick. Yes Dan sells them by the stick. Spacing is 20” between steps. 22” total stick. I personally like-shorter spacing. They are a 2 sided step. Quality is excellent. If you are going to get sticks, they get my vote.

I have Helium’s, they are ok for a smaller guy. I had them flexing under me first time I used them. I put them away. I will either sell them or one of my kids can use them.

I have XOP’S. I used them last night and had the locking mechanism get twisted on me. ( (The Sticks are fine.) On closer inspection there is a pin that securs the male end (bolt) on the locking mechanism that hold it in place. Also, I had left them in back of truck and it rained. I noted rust on some of the bolts. (Yet my Beast sticks were in the back as well and there was no rust on them.). The new XOP’S is a good single step stick, with great spacing for my size 14 foot. There are trade offs I accept be a big guy. I will take a look at them over the weekend and if I cannot fix I will send back to XOP.

I had lone wolf and gave them to a younger hunter. The problem I had was there was not enough room with the stand off. I had nothing more than a toe hold. Yet everyone company shoots for the quality of lone wolf.

Don’t give up on the WE’S. If do not like them for climbing, you can use them for some presets or keep a single as a hand hold for helping you get onto & off your platform. Or if you want to space out your sticks you can use them between the sticks.

Another thought is too use the WE’S as you starter steps at the base of the tree. Whether it be for sticks or using it with knaider/swaider or to get over base of the tree using a lone wolf climbing seat.

I suppose that the stackability of the beast sticks is what I like best... They stack tight and the stack does not get longer as you stack sticks.
I tried WE steps but have trouble being quiet with that many pieces.
Heliums and muddys can be packed with these from amazon. Heliums are fantastic for the money and with this type of bungee they pack well enough.
google tarpaulin ball bungees. Or just ball bungees amazon.

You ain't kidding. I call serious BS on their 9lb weight. Mine are 9lbs AFTER I cut them to 24".

They obviously weighed them without the straps, and I think even then they rounded down.
Haha no lie they are heavy. I went the amsteel versa button route to save weight and have not weighed my sticks to know the difference. They do stack quietly and securely though.

Modded Heliums no doubt.

Nobody stacks them the most efficient way. Stack them corrrectly and all that protrudes is about an inch of the bottom offset.

First two stick stack together face to face. Then the third one flips around and nests into the folded up step of the bottom stick.

ZC2R8Xu.jpg

Any of you guys have any concerns with this way of securing the hawks? They seemed solid. Using an old ameristep strap.
b3b803ed64ea0d2119a824237888532f.jpg
45d3aa4e5638099008312c30fe902ea7.jpg

Sent from my LG-M327 using Tapatalk
Should be solid. I'd just keep an eye on the wear on the strap.

I have many options in my climbing stick arsenal. The muddy pro sticks are definitely my go to for packing in.

Attachments

• D4A619BD-AD86-48FC-A1E9-59D9973CB513.png
    D4A619BD-AD86-48FC-A1E9-59D9973CB513.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 69
Back