• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What are these?

aclawrence

I found these today in a cypress swamp. I’ve never seen them before. They look kind of like a muscadine but are a total different shape. They were all over the ground in this spot but I couldn’t figure out where they were coming from with a quick glance.
42c8ca6ec0d6c2d6fbf0b8546a73d52e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I’ve never heard of those. I will look them up. I love finding and learning something new in the woods.

Also known as Water Tupelo, Blackgum, Sourgum, Cotton Gum, Swamp Tupelo, Water Gum. In some areas deer prefer them over honeysuckle. Did you see many tracks around them?

No I didn’t see any tracks specifically around these but they were just in one little spot and maybe just haven’t been discovered by the deer.

I like your name Sipsey. Is that from the wilderness area. I love the Sipsey Wilderness.

This article was pretty helpful if anyone is interested.

No I didn’t see any tracks specifically around these but they were just in one little spot and maybe just haven’t been discovered by the deer.

I like your name Sipsey. Is that from the wilderness area. I love the Sipsey Wilderness.

There are 2 Sipsey’s in Bama. The one I was raised on is in W. Alabama & flows into the Tombigbee. The name, I believe is Choctaw for a tree that was once plentiful along its banks.

Ok. I thought you might have been closer to where I’m at. And there’s some more random tree knowledge I didn’t know.

Back