• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What are your labor day plans?

thedutchtouch

SH Member
I've got about 11 lbs of coho salmon sliced up and brining, going to be making some salmon jerky for my upcoming hunt (and some snacks before/after at home). Figured it makes sense to bring some of the fish i caught last year in Alaska back up to eat while we are looking for deer or a brown bear, and was lucky to catch a bunch of king on my more recent trip so I need some freezer space back. For the hunt, We're keeping our options open and letting weather ultimately decide, but pivoting a bit more toward bear than deer, so I'll potentially have the luxury of bringing some extras like this if we hunt from the boat instead of the alpine. Whatever we end up doing will be great, and I'm looking forward to smoking some fish tomorrow regardless of if I end up eating it, leaving it in my brother's fridge, or bringing it back home and eating it after.

Planning to smoke a portion with maple syrup, a portion with some Thai sweet chili sauce, and possibly a portion with some black pepper. Can't wait.

That was a very roundabout way of asking, but what are you doing/cooking for labor day?

O that sounds like that's going to be tasty. Wish I could swing by for a sample. :)

I have to work but I'm going to pull a couple cards and replace batteries on a camera on the way in. Then going to a bbq with friends in the evening.

Good luck! Yes, I found deer down in the low spots in thick cover near running water the last few times I have been out scouting.
Yeah I'm just hunting my property going to WV in October for a week. It's really hot now it was nice least week in the 50s in the morning. Deer were more active.

Just finished cleaning 11 chickens, cutting grass and weed eating in a bit, then continue hand digging a watering hole for the animals. Then wind down late afternoon shooting bows and get ready for work tomorrow.

I’m spending time with my darling of 27 years, attending and competing in an AKC Dog obedience show this weekend, finishing up today. I spend a lot of time in the woods so I always try to get some quality family time in before I hit the woods hard!

Well Mama Bear has to work today and Daycare is closed so it’s going to be an exciting day of watching Cocomelon and being a toddlers snack B.

Just pulled some brats out of the freezer to thaw for grilling this evening.I’m sure my wife has a project or 17 to do today. It’s supposed to be warm (91) so we’ll get garden stuff done and maybe take the dogs for a walk and relax inside for the hottest part.

Then I think I’ll sit down and take a gander at that fancy new Saddle Hunter magazine I picked up the other day at the store. Maybe jump online and play a bit of video games with my friends who live in Florida. Grill some dinner, relax and get ready for the short work week tomorrow.

Back