• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What can help with comfort?

vanettenr93

I am a new hunter. I purchased the kestrel saddle and use a ring of steps from bullman outdoors. I want to do some all day sits but so far I can't imagine doing that in a saddle. I can barely go 10 minutes without having to shift my weight or adjust. I want to hear any and all tips for maximizing comfort or anything that can increase my ability to stay still longer. I love the idea of the saddle and the mobility but i need some semblance of comfort so I am not adjusting and/or counting the minutes until I can get down. I appreciate the help, Thanks!

Bonus question: where do you guys hang your gear in relation to yourself? I do backpack on the other side of the tree and bow on my left side but don't know if it just makes me stick out more.

Newbies like me really appreciate these kind of forums, so truly - thanks.

Time in the saddle first and foremost. Even after a lot of summer practice it took me a good 15 or 20 hunts until I knew my treestand days were mostly in the rearview. It's a commitment. It was not instant gratification at all for me.

Some other things:

A platform

Adjusting tether height and positioning

Adjusting bridge length

Backband

Kneepads/treepad

Choosing easier trees and weather conditions to start

I hang my backpack about waist high on my right side off my 2nd tether/linemans. My bow on my left usually the hook is a few inches above my tether.

Mess around with tether height, bridge length and sitting vs leaning. Do a search on these topics and see what others have done. Also, if you recall what areas of your body were most uncomfortable there can we specific fixes for that

I hunt from a ring of steps and kestrel as well. My personal preferences are:

Forehead high tether.

30" or so bridge.

KNEE PADS!!

kestrel waist belt loosened up

Kestrel rides low, just above my crack

Butt slightly higher than knees is my default position, but I mix it up occasionally.

Adjustment straps are usually just barely tightened up.

I can sit about as comfortably this way as I can in any climber. However, my first few sits we're just as you described. In addition to finding the sweet spots regarding gear, I also started planking every day and lost about 40lbs.

I also started planking every day and lost about 40lbs.

Congratulations... just planks or full routines/diet?

I believe losing weight can help many, including myself, stay comfortable, longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Congratulations... just planks or full routines/diet?

I believe losing weight can help many, including myself, stay comfortable, longer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I stay fairly active, and do various calisthenics and kettlebell exercises. I've slacked off during the season, since I do a lot of canoeing and hiking on the weekends now. But I still hold that plank for 2 minutes every day.

I cleaned up my diet a good deal. Stopped drinking my calories, and swore off all sweets. Nothing super radical, just staying mindful and stepping on the scale daily.

I stay fairly active, and do various calisthenics and kettlebell exercises. I've slacked off during the season, since I do a lot of canoeing and hiking on the weekends now. But I still hold that plank for 2 minutes every day.

I cleaned up my diet a good deal. Stopped drinking my calories, and swore off all sweets. Nothing super radical, just staying mindful and stepping on the scale daily.

Congratulations Nutter! That's awesome! I've lost a lot of weight doing the same as you but no exercise. I've lost strength though so I have to figure something out as far as exercise goes. I was thinking push ups and planks.

One thing that I find with my Kestrel is that exactly where the bridge loops pull on the tether loops makes a difference in comfort. I've switched from the stock bridge to a fixed Amsteel bridge. I made a locked Brummell on one end which I girth hitch around the tether loop on the saddle. That girth hitch allows the bridge to clinch onto the loop and stay exactly where I place it. That location placement effects how the "pull" is balanced between my waist and my leg straps. It's not that one location is better than the other (for me), but during long, all day sits, I will move the location of the clinch just an inch or 2 and the saddle instantly feels a little different...usually a bit better...for a while.
The other bridge loop on the opposite side can't be girth hitched, but I just did a small loop with a lock stitch. That loop doesn't stay put quite as well as the girth hitch on the other side, but it does remain where I put it fairly well. I'm thinking about wrapping the Amsteel around the tether loop twice and then doing the lock stitch bury. Doing so should allow that side to stay clinched where I place it.
For me, there is no doubt...the exact location that the bridge pulls on the tether loops make a big difference in how the saddle feels. Large, loose bridge loops or carabiners don't keep the bridge exactly where I want it and that effects comfort.

Last edited:
Back