• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What carabiner for rappelling rope?

devildog

Last year I used a Petzl triangle quick-link on my rappel rope for one sticking, but this year I wanted to give a carabiner a try. I have a steel blackdiamond screwgate but it is really heavy. Do you guys recommend any other carabiner for one sticking . Please let's not get into why not to us carabiners to rappel discussion.

Stick with Petzl.
I like 'em a lot. They have a pile of options and I really like the red ring on them to show when they're not locked.

Screenshot_20220424-212035_Gallery.jpg

I'd recommend Black Diamond Vaporlocks they specify use for munter hitch rappels. I've used these on lots of rappels and really like em.
The Black Diamond Mini Pearabiners work great too (similar design as the Vaporlock in a smaller package).

Last edited:
Last year I used a Petzl triangle quick-link on my rappel rope for one sticking, but this year I wanted to give a carabiner a try. I have a steel blackdiamond screwgate but it is really heavy. Do you guys recommend any other carabiner for one sticking . Please let's not get into why not to us carabiners to rappel discussion.
I used the steel BD screw gate, or the steel Sterling Screw Lock, all last year to rappel with no issue. I found that the extra weight of them is also beneficial when it comes time for retrieval.

Not sure I totally understand what u asking but if u looking for a biner to rappel with like using a munter than EWO got ya covered.....

D shaped carabiners are the strongest shape and they usually set better against the tree. SMC makes the “Force” tatical D carabiners in two very awesome colors. They are my go to in most carabiner situations. Pretty light (2.6oz) good color and 31kN [6975 lbs] tensile strength!

Not sure I totally understand what u asking but if u looking for a biner to rappel with like using a munter than EWO got ya covered.....
I think He’s asking for recommendation on carabiner to use at the end of his rappel rope similar to how people use the screw gate delta links etc.

Back