• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What else is needed?

Wolverinebuckman

Hi guys! I'm looking to finalize my "need to get" list to get hanging. I have purchased a rc harness, and I am on a budget so the more DIY the better. Plan to make up a saddle from either a sit drag or fleece, and am going to get the rope to make tether and lineman's belt. What beyond the rope, a couple of carabiners and tying up some knots do I need to safely start hanging in a tree?

About rope: what's a couple good ones to look at, and from where? I know wespur has 11mm predator by the foot , but the shipping sucks. I'm not planning to spend the $ on anything mechanical this year, but would like to be able to use a ropeman in the future.
Also, what is a good rope for the prusik loops?
I know amsteel is popular for the bridge, but what's the non amsteel go to; in size?

Any recommendations on an affordable carabiner?

Anything else you think might help a new guy get started?
Thanks in advance,
Chris

Ebay is your friend when it comes to buying rope remnants.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Any 8-9mm climbing rope will work with your 11mm rope for prusiks. But I’d honestly buy a ropeman anyways. Even if you hate the saddle and want to stick with a stand it’ll be the best money spent every time you use your linesman’s belt.

Platform is a big thing to consider.

Packing gear in is the other challenge. If you were using your stand as a pack frame, with everything strapped to it, you now have to figure out the best way to get all your stuff in because you won’t be using it anymore.

Any 8-9mm climbing rope will work with your 11mm rope for prusiks. But I’d honestly buy a ropeman anyways. Even if you hate the saddle and want to stick with a stand it’ll be the best money spent every time you use your linesman’s belt.

Platform is a big thing to consider.

Packing gear in is the other challenge. If you were using your stand as a pack frame, with everything strapped to it, you now have to figure out the best way to get all your stuff in because you won’t be using it anymore.

Oh, Ropeman is definitely on the "future stuff" list . Just walking myself up slowly for financial reasons...have much gear to acquire yet. 30-40 bucks can be applied elsewhere for now while using prusik.

I am new to this but found that using the Ropeman I could get my bridge higher up and closer to the tree which was way more comfortable than using the prussic. After the first use I could see what all the hype was about.

Oh, Ropeman is definitely on the "future stuff" list . Just walking myself up slowly for financial reasons...have much gear to acquire yet. 30-40 bucks can be applied elsewhere for now while using prusik.
I’m in the same situation. I’m not cheap, just frugal. I have been working on my DIY Sit Drag. And found between Ebay and Amazon is easy to stay cheap. I bought 2 Molle canteen pouches for $13 and 2 flash bang pouches for $4.80. I’m using 8mm rope for a prusik on 11mm rope for my lineman’s rope and tether. I’m also building my own platform out of my surplus of hang on stands. My only big expense will be the WE stepps. The best part about the entire thing is I’m having a great time putting everything together

I’m in the same situation. I’m not cheap, just frugal. I have been working on my DIY Sit Drag. And found between Ebay and Amazon is easy to stay cheap. I bought 2 Molle canteen pouches for $13 and 2 flash bang pouches for $4.80. I’m using 8mm rope for a prusik on 11mm rope for my lineman’s rope and tether. I’m also building my own platform out of my surplus of hang on stands. My only big expense will be the WE stepps. The best part about the entire thing is I’m having a great time putting everything together

Yeah, the stepps are going to be my big expense, too. I have to build up everything, I figure I'll get the necessities now, and add the gadgets over time.

Back