• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What happened to the guy with “failed” oplux?

ShortFuse

There was a post a while ago about a guys oplux tether who broke. It was never really confirmed or denied I guess. Just curious if any updates

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Honestly this has been my only holdup for oplux

I’ve used it before with no issues... sometimes even I worry, but with so many fibers in a rope, would it really be made to the point of failure? Unless you tied a bad knot or put too much slack in your line?

I’ve used it before with no issues... sometimes even I worry, but with so many fibers in a rope, would it really be made to the point of failure? Unless you tied a bad knot or put too much slack in your line?

I mean I feel even the damn sheathe would hold you no?

Everyone has to be responsible for their own safety and decide what is an acceptable amount of risk. That being said oplux is a 24kN rated rope used for rescue and rigging. Which scenario is more plausible:
A) of the millions of professionals that have trusted their lives to rated sterling ropes this random guy was the only one that managed to break it with the weight of his lean...OR
B) the fall was the result of user error.
Keep in mind the guy couldn't even spell "tether" correctly. I'm fairly certain if it was a legitimate failure we would have heard something about it given the inherent safety implications. Take from that what you will.

Everyone has to be responsible for their own safety and decide what is an acceptable amount of risk. That being said oplux is a 24kN rated rope used for rescue and rigging. Which scenario is more plausible:
A) of the millions of professionals that have trusted their lives to rated sterling ropes this random guy was the only one that managed to break it with the weight of his lean...OR
Keep in mind the guy couldn't even spell "tether" correctly. I'm fairly certain if it was a legitimate failure we would have heard something about it given the inherent safety implications. Take from that what you will.

Lol I was giving the benefit of the doubt that it was the injuries making his typing so bad. It was just so strange the whole development

My Rescue Tech just came in from DanO today. Occams Razor comes to mind most of the time when I see something like this. Wish we would have gotten more information or an AAR.

Thats just about how I feel.

A bad knot or no backup could be a problem with any rope. I think Oplux is great rope and use it for my bridge, tether, lineman’s and for rappelling when it’s not wet out. If it’s gonna be wet I’ll use the canyon C-IV for rappelling. I really like the way Oplux packs down.

I agree. Probably incorrectly tied scaffold knot.

If you do a poacher's knot, then it is vital that the working end goes over the standing end before being tucked back under the loop. Otherwise it does not lock itself and it is just internal friction holding it for a time. I believe a scaffold knot (2 wraps), if tied incorrectly in terms of overlap, will often turn itself into a poacher's knot (and still hold) if there is sufficient tag end. This is one reason I always tie scaffold knots (instead of saving 25 cents in rope and making my system 0.25 inches more compact). Also, a lot of people seem to hate tag end for some reason ("little bit of rope, thou dost stick out and offend me!") and want to make them as short as possible.

Everyone should know how to tie these knots correctly but also the ways you can tie one incorrectly.

A bad knot or no backup could be a problem with any rope. I think Oplux is great rope and use it for my bridge, tether, lineman’s and for rappelling when it’s not wet out. If it’s gonna be wet I’ll use the canyon C-IV for rappelling. I really like the way Oplux packs down.

How’s oplux when it’s wet?

It was his knot. I’m not going to dig through all of the old comments on the post, but IIRC his buddy was in a tree close to him and took a picture before he fell. I can’t remember the exact details, but it wasn’t a scaffold. I do remember that it had a super short tail (like less than 2”.
Most likely scenario was that he tied it and didn’t fully weight the knot. That short tail eventually crept through the knot and set him free.

It was his knot. I’m not going to dig through all of the old comments on the post, but IIRC his buddy was in a tree close to him and took a picture before he fell. I can’t remember the exact details, but it wasn’t a scaffold. I do remember that it had a super short tail (like less than 2”.
Most likely scenario was that he tied it and didn’t fully weight the knot. That short tail eventually crept through the knot and set him free.

Thanks for the info! I thought I read all comments and there was no development past he would post pictures

How’s oplux when it’s wet?
I don't use it anymore when the conditions are supposed to be wet. I had a "sporty" rappel out the tree with my Safeguard (out of spec usage) this year on wet Oplux. It also seems to absorb water quicker than any of the other ropes I've used although that may be a function of its size. I haven't tried any other ropes of this small diameter.

I think you are conflating two different stories. I don't believe there was any update on the Oplux tether that supposedly broke. The incident you are referring to was a muddy rope, and the knot that was used for the tether loop pulled through.

Different story

I think you are conflating two different stories. I don't believe there was any update on the Oplux tether that supposedly broke. The incident you are referring to was a muddy rope, and the knot that was used for the tether loop pulled through.

You know which one I am referring to then right? I don’t believe it had anything to do with knots and everything to do with it “breaking”

Back