• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What is affecting this central Mississippi deer?

Fuse Dude

The attached images are of a deer which was relatively healthy three weeks prior with the initial phases of this impediment. At the time of this photo this deer is emaciated and was able to eat corn from a feeder drop but then went to a nearby ridge, under a hundred yards away and bedded down. The guy who witnessed that was,
the deer perceived him stood up and bedded back down, in doe muzzleloader, and didnt want to shoot a buck, dumb I know right?

What has afflicted this deer? Any insight would help?IMG_4154.jpgIMG_4155.jpg

My thoughts would be EHD...but it could be some form of infection he got due to sparring and the wound got infected. Looks like he is still holding velvet on his rack.

Encephalopathy is the brain though, I would think feeding habits would have been so drastic it would have died prior to the 3 week sinus swelling. Just speculating though...

We've notified MDWLF and they said killem and freeze the head. Otherwise it has been radio silence over the last week, no one or camera has seen the critter.

Must have caught the Covid! In all seriousness though I would call the epo’s and see if you can get a waste tag. Or call them try to pattern him and see if they’ll come sedate him and bring him to the bio lab to get tested and cured up

Back