• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What is best saddle for beginner

War hammer

I’m 5’7 about 150 pounds I really like certain things about both the mantis and the flex so I’m having hard time deciding which to buy any help would be appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I started with the mantis and it was perfect for me. If I were you I would order the mantis now and and keep it in good shape. That way you can easily sell it or trade in classifieds if you dont want it. I'm super happy with mine.

You could always just order both and sell what you dont want. Order now because in a month or two it's going to be even harder to find them (also easier to sell one for the season)

Same for me, kept going back and forth and just went with the Mantis starter kit. Ordered an XL but after talking with someone at TETHRD I changed my order to a L. Now the wait.

Same for me, kept going back and forth and just went with the Mantis starter kit. Ordered an XL but after talking with someone at TETHRD I changed my order to a L. Now the wait.

Think I’ve made up my mind to the Mantis starter kit to

Sold my lone wolf setup and went with the mantis and platform 500 dollar. Also got Ropeman 1 and hauler. How much longer for the wait so painful.

I got all sucked into the latest and greatest designated hunting saddle last year. After struggling to get even remotely comfortable in that mantis mankini, i went to a $40 Rock climbing Harness and $10 fleece and have never been more comfortable. I suggest this method as you wont be out much if you dont like the method. You will still need some rope, ropeman, amsteel dyneema rope, and a few other things. Its a good beginner set up.

I got all sucked into the latest and greatest designated hunting saddle last year. After struggling to get even remotely comfortable in that mantis mankini, i went to a $40 Rock climbing Harness and $10 fleece and have never been more comfortable. I suggest this method as you wont be out much if you dont like the method. You will still need some rope, ropeman, amsteel dyneema rope, and a few other things. Its a good beginner set up.

To this date I have never bought a new saddle. I am a sitdrag, fleece guy. I do own a Kestrel, I won it at Saddleplooza. It isn’t as comfortable as a sitdrag IMHO.
The Flex has me confused, I have seen to many new ones in the classifieds to buy a new one and they are already having to mod it to make it work.
I have sat in a Mantis xl which I believe I was to big for me but it wasn’t comfortable either.
My trophy line was comfortable but heavy I sold it right away.
I sat in a JX3 for a couple of hours it was extremely comfortable but it come with a weight penalty.

I went with a kit, just felt safer, I am a rookie at this, DIY was NOT an option - lol.
Mantis vs Flex vs etc. I was starting to go crazy. Think I wouldbe happy with the Mantis or the Flex, just looking forward to start playing with it, lots to learn and new stuff to look forward to going into another fall deer season, life is good.

I'm 5'7" 32inch waist about 160 and I'm using a size 2 kite...
I really recommend you look in your area and sit in a couple before making your decision, the saddle hunting community is truly an awesome group of people that will go out of their way to help someone new looking to get into saddle hunting.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

im new as well i ordered the flex kit but was up in the air about it as well ,im pretty sure you cant go to wrong with either but only time will tell ,hopefully we are all very satisfied.

Does anyone know which company, either Tethrd or Aero, has the most customer satisfaction and least issues after purchase? Has anyone had significant experience with both?

Tethrd is a relatively new company. They were very responsive when I had questions about my order and made changes. I have made a few different orders with them now and am happy with their service. My only complaint is wait times on back-ordered items. I would prefer to see them under promise and over deliver on the wait time. Tell me it's going to be 6 months and surprise me with 3 month delivery...

Back