• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What is this firearm?

Exhumis

SH Member
So. My boss picked this up at an estate sale and we can’t figure out WTH it is. Has a .22 magazine, and there’s a squirrel factory etched into each side of the stock. As for the protrusion where the barrel should be it’s a piece machined aluminum with a machined threaded end to screw in where the barrel should into the receiver, with the business end not having a muzzle but instead the gases vent out to either side. Thoughts? 0F833681-0FE5-4860-B36F-E41D84B6F8F4.jpeg

Burner gun? Any identifying information or serial on it at all?

From a quick search it appears to be a modified Marlin Glenfield 22. It's a marlin, they seem to be the ones to engrave squirrels on the stock

Can it fire a bullet? Or is the muzzle End closed off?

If it does, be careful. The barrel looks very short (as in, less than 16"). That would make it a SBR under the NFA, requiring a tax stamp to own legally.

(not a lawyer, just a guy with a few toys).

(just saw in the post that the muzzle end is not open, so probably not legally a firearm)

Looks like someone ruined a .22 bolt marlin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Some sort of modified dummy launcher comes to mind...
That was my thought too. Fires blanks, the collar is where whatever it was made to launch bottoms out. I say stick a potato on the end and load it up with a .22 shell from a nailer and see what happens.

If that barrel was chopped and someone welded the end shut like you said to vent gasses out of the side when firing blanks, that fact alone would make that illegal under NFA laws. Whether it’s in the form it is or not right now. That’s a very sketchy valley to walk through.

Back