• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What material for rope bag

MNFarmHunter

I made a rope bag this year for my SRT rope as an experiment and it worked better than I could've expected. As always, there's room for improvement such as interior pocket design and general layout but am unsure what I want to make it out of.

I used canvas duck for the current bag because it was cheap and available. It has been durable and quiet but want to move away from the cotton due to water retention. I've been looking at Cordura as it won't absorb water. It's also relatively stiff but is also noisier than canvas. I'm also unsure if 500D or 1000D would be the better option. I have also looked at a heavy duty mesh but have ruled this out. While quiet and breathable, for my uses a study, solid fabric is preferred.

Given that I'm leaning towards Cordura, would 500D or 1000D be the better choice?

I made a rope bag this year for my SRT rope as an experiment and it worked better than I could've expected. As always, there's room for improvement such as interior pocket design and general layout but am unsure what I want to make it out of.

I used canvas duck for the current bag because it was cheap and available. It has been durable and quiet but want to move away from the cotton due to water retention. I've been looking at Cordura as it won't absorb water. It's also relatively stiff but is also noisier than canvas. I'm also unsure if 500D or 1000D would be the better option. I have also looked at a heavy duty mesh but have ruled this out. While quiet and breathable, for my uses a study, solid fabric is preferred.

Given that I'm leaning towards Cordura, would 500D or 1000D be the better choice?
If you’re going for cordura, try 500 d. It’s lighter and a little easier to sew through. They also make polyester in 600d which is a little quieter and even better at not absorbing water. The thicker water treated ripstop nylon would be another option to consider. It’s about as noisy as cordura, but it’s much lighter and it’s strong enough. It’s also much easier to sew through and about half the price per yard

Back