• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

what paint is best

prvance

What paint is best for a DIY platform? How do I get the digital camo look I have seen on here?

There's a stone texture rustoleum that has some grit in it. Spray a few layers on pretty heavy and I've had good luck adding some traction to my platform. There are good muted colors but I just try to dull out the metal shine, I don't know how it for work for the instagram purdy camo patterns.

These are both painted using the G2 method. Paint on the stick is 2 years old, on the platform is one. These have seem a lot of time on the tree. IMO the paint is holding up pretty well (certainly better than my deck :)). My scheme is a complete dark gray base coat, swathes of dark brown using spray cans followed by sponge application of light brown/tan.

1590603166476.png

A couple pics of the stick right after I painted it and before I cut it down two years ago to show how well its wearing.
1590603433718.png

1590603666107.png

If want to make sure it stays you need a couple of layers of clear coat. You don’t need expensive paint, IMO, whatever you can find cheap and the right color for where you hunt. But if your wallet is to heavy, Duracoat ain’t coming off without a sandblaster.

Ok, now that there have been helpful comments I feel like it is ok for me to leave a stupid comment.

Green is the best paint!

Good luck with your DIY paint job.

Ok, now that there have been helpful comments I feel like it is ok for me to leave a stupid comment.

Green is the best paint!

Good luck with your DIY paint job.
Especially when the leaves are all gone in the fall when I'm in a tree hunting

Here's a couple of highlights from my last camo-day - used stone grey primer on all, then did basically the sponge method but used 2" foam paintbrushes to go more of a tree bark look. Tree bark strokes are 75 % brown, 15% black and 10% green.

1st pic is my blowgun, it turned out the best by far. I add stripes of an ivory color on top of the grey base prior to adding the treebark look and it really disappears against that tree.

2nd pic is my stock for my mini-30, same as blowgun but without ivory step.

3rd pic is muddy pro stick, the picture is without ivory step but I liked the blowgun so much I went back and redid this with the ivory.

All my paint was rustoleum camo except the primer, don't remember brand but it was a flat matte finish grey.

Attachments

• Resized_Resized_20200516_133808.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20200516_133808.jpeg
    538.9 KB · Views: 48
  • Resized_Resized_Snapchat-755561720.jpeg
    Resized_Resized_Snapchat-755561720.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 51
  • Resized_20200516_103217.jpeg
    Resized_20200516_103217.jpeg
    189.3 KB · Views: 48
Here's a couple of highlights from my last camo-day - used stone grey primer on all, then did basically the sponge method but used 2" foam paintbrushes to go more of a tree bark look. Tree bark strokes are 75 % brown, 15% black and 10% green.

1st pic is my blowgun, it turned out the best by far. I add stripes of an ivory color on top of the grey base prior to adding the treebark look and it really disappears against that tree.

2nd pic is my stock for my mini-30, same as blowgun but without ivory step.

3rd pic is muddy pro stick, the picture is without ivory step but I liked the blowgun so much I went back and redid this with the ivory.

All my paint was rustoleum camo except the primer, don't remember brand but it was a flat matte finish grey.
Looks great!

Back