• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What rifle is everyone using?

yakcraz

Well, what are y’all hunting with? I have three that go to the woods. My Mossberg 30-30 is for wet weather days or hunting in thicker stuff. My remington model 7 in 243 was my first deer rifle. As you can tell, it’s been used & abused, but has killed a many of deer & is usually my go to because it’s so light weight. And last is my Winchester model 70 in 270. It goes with me if I’m gonna be hunting the green fields & pastures for longer shots. The 243 is capable of the longer shots but they tend to run off & it’s harder to locate the blood trail on the open fields. The 270 usually drops them or they usually only go a few yards. None of mine are anything special, but they get the job done all the same.
4F071D4A-31B5-4B8E-9082-ED80B7F25AEF.jpeg

Barrett FieldCraft in 6.5CM/Leupold VX3 3-9 on it. This gun was NOT cheap. But I wanted a lightweight mountain rifle that I keep and can pass down to my son one day. 6lbs scoped, incredible trigger, carbon stock. Just a killer rifle!

TC Encore with .50cal muzzleloader barrel and a 7mm-08 barrel. I've had this gun for years and it's killed piles of deer. Carries great, very accurate and it's simple. My wife likes to carry it when she hunts alone because it's simple to load and operate.

Mossberg 500 20ga pump. I mainly got this gun for my son to use for deer and turkeys and I enjoy carrying it as well.

Those are the main ones that get a ton of use. I have others that are mainly safe queens and don't hunt with them.

Well, what day is it? :) usually my winchester model 70 feather lite in 300 win mag. All stainless. Chopped barrel, recessed crown, fluted, jewel bolt, custom Louis laBerge trigger job. Glass bedded laminate stock, leupold vxii scope.2018-11-14 12.17.50.jpg

Have numerous rifles two 30-30s, a 300 savage, a. 243,a 7mm 08,and a 7mm rem mag. But none have seen the field in a while. Just not that interested anymore in shooting them with a rifle. Maybe if I lived out West?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Tikka t3 lite stainless in the Almighty 30-06.

I hunted with a .243 and loved it until I hated it. 3 out of 4 deer and the one pig I've subjugated with the 06 this year have all been dead-in-tracks. The one "runner" made it 30 yards.

.243 kills, but 30-06 kills much more gooder.
That’s why I like my 270 in the open fields. Sometimes with the 243, they may run out of sight & then hit the woods at a place where you can’t see them go in. In the woods it’s easy to make a reference point to look for blood if one runs off. On the fields not so much. Everything looks different once you climb down out of the shooting house & start looking on the ground for blood 200+ yards away.

I’ve got a Remington 710 and like @Nutterbuster its chambered in the perennial powerhouse of .30-06. I’ve used it since 8th grade and never had a deer run more than 30 yards with it. It’s a “cheap” rifle but it has served me well

I actually have an old Remington 742 in 30-06 but it’s a safe gun because it’s a Remington 742.

I have the a 742 30.06 it’s Unstoppable I think you could throw it in the mud stomp on it and pick it up and it won’t miss a beat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I actually have an old Remington 742 in 30-06 but it’s a safe gun because it’s a Remington 742.
I have a 742 carbine in my safe too....it's there because..no offense but I think it's a pos...it hasn't come out other than for oiling in 10 years...

I have a Mauser action chambered in .243..... my dad bought it off our neighbor for me when I was 8...... my neighbor at that time was a very serious chicken fighter he had this rifle for the soul purpose of busting chicken hawks literally the guy would sit in the yard with a two liter of diet Pepsi and a spit cup watching for hawks....to this day I’m still inclined to believe it’s killed more hawks than deer even though it’s never let me down.

I built a Mauser(vz24 aftion) in .270 on a bell Carlson stock, with a vintage leupold mountaineer 4x scope. It was a solid rifle. Just prefer a 30cal bullet these days.

I have the a 742 30.06 it’s Unstoppable I think you could throw it in the mud stomp on it and pick it up and it won’t miss a beat.

Mine was inherited. I’ve only shot it maybe 5 times or whatever a magazine holds. Didn’t have an issue that I remember. It’s just heavy as hell & I’m not a fan of autos for deer hunting unless you’re running dogs.

Mine was inherited. I’ve only shot it maybe 5 times or whatever a magazine holds. Didn’t have an issue that I remember. It’s just heavy as hell & I’m not a fan of autos for deer hunting unless you’re running dogs.
Funny, I inheritd mine too....pits a flame out rthe barrel longer than my arm. Shot an 8 with it a while back. Dropped it dead...but like carrying a boat anchor around...

Back