• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What rope for splicing

Jeff25

Looking to make my own tether with a spliced eye. What are some inexpensive ropes that are easy to splice?

Amsteel is not a good choice. It's slippery on bark and with friction hitches, doesn't work with ropeman, and has poor abrasion resistance. Great for a bridge though.

Not sure on splicing your own eyes as I don't trust myself to do this yet.

This is a pretty cheap and safe option https://www.amazon.com/Hunter-Safety-System-Rope-Style-Strap/dp/B07KX6ZSBJ

Bunch of us use amsteel on our sticks and steps, it's not slippery on tree bark. I also haven't had it get tore up from use. I'm thinking about making a whoopie or daisy chain tether using amsteel.

So I decided on Yale bandit 11mm. Does anyone know what size fid to use for 11mm rope? Is it the 1/2” fid?

Back