• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What side of tree?

Blackeagle1

First year saddle hunting. I apologize if this has been asked before. When hunting an area when you know most likely which direction the deer will be coming from. What side of the tree you face? With my loc on. I would have my back towards the direction I thought deer would come. Now that your facing the tree. Does or should the same hold true. I know it my depend on wind direction, strong side, week side etc. Any insight would be appreciated.

Good morning, I'm a lefty, so I want to be facing the tree with my strong side( about 2 o'clock to about 5 o'clock) to where I think my buck of a lifetime will most probably come from. I used to hunt at 20 feet but I think with the saddle and my WE Stepps and K/S, I'm going to be looking to go 25 to 30 feet. I want that tree between us and I'll use it to cover my draw. In this scenario I would want the wind in my face or coming from the strong side.

I think 25-30’ is way too high. Poor shot angle imo. Too many 1 lung hits unless they’re a ways from the tree. But that’s me. Thanks for the other info though. I’m sure I’ll figure it out pretty quick. Just wanted to start out on the right track.

I think 25-30’ is way too high. Poor shot angle imo. Too many 1 lung hits unless they’re a ways from the tree. But that’s me. Thanks for the other info though. I’m sure I’ll figure it out pretty quick. Just wanted to start out on the right track.
I do have to agree with you on the shot angle at that height. It's something I have to practice more since I could only go 20 feet for so long. I did find myself getting a little higher in the oak flats when I would bring my climber out. I guess I should qualify my response. I hunt a lot of benches and hilly terrain in open oak forests so a lot of times in order to hunt those up hill spots with out exposing my self to the bench I climb a tree off the high ground, that way my base of the tree pre climb organization isn't exposed to any thing above me until I start climbing. I still believe in climb as high as needed to get to the best cover be that 10 feet or 30 feet. I'm just not limited to where my 20 foot ladders used put me. Glad I could shine some light for ya.

I prefer the 10 o'clock position as well, but have been surprised by where deer appear from sometimes. The only other thing i have to consider is how to keep the sun off of me and out of my eyesight. Keeping in shade, lets me stay out longer. They clear cut around my favorite river bottom so the sun is an issue. When you practice, find your favorite position to Shoot. As for height, i go higher in gun season, and 15-20 feet in archery. depends on tree foliage. Archery i need the deer to think i am part of the tree all the time. I can see better in archery when i am lower. There is more movement to to take a clean shot in archery, so cover and foreknowledge of a deer approaching is important. Gun season i can shoot faster, leaves are falling.. so i can go higher and shoot farther. I once came back from a two day cold snap, the tree had gone from heavy leaf coverage to no leaf coverage in that two days.

I always face the deer if I have a choice. With a saddle, usually I do. My eye sight will always be better than my hearing. I can't stand having the deer behind me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Im right handed and like my shot around 7 o'clock. So I usually sit with my back toward or angled in the expected shooting direction. Two disadvantages of this are quiet deer sneaking in and not hiding behind the tree. But I shoot most comfortably out of a saddle while rotated to the rear. Sometimes I even rotate around when I don't necessarily have to in order to get a rear facing shot. Adds stability and freedom of movement to shoot a bow for me. I hunt pretty high whenever I can so it's usually not an issue

Back