• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What size tethrd mantis do I need????

Howdy,

I’m looking to buy a tethrd mantis today or tomorrow and keep going back and forth between the large and XL. I’m 6’00” and 205ish lbs. and wear a 34-36” waist pant(I prefer 35” when I can find it). I emailed tethrd and they told me to go with a large but I keep reading about people wishing they would have got the next size up.

Does anyone on here have a mantis and a similar body size to me? Can you give me some good info on what to do?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you're on the fence I don't think you can go wrong stepping up a size. I wear a 36" waist pant and currently weigh in the neighborhood of 215/220. The XL is perfect for me.

Is there any you don’t like about it? Anything you’d like to change?

Other than adding a couple of gear loops it's the one piece of saddle hunting equipment that I have left completely stock. I will say that I like a slightly longer bridge than the 30in bridge when sitting but I just swap in my lineman's belt after I get to height. That said, bridge length is a very individual choice and from what I've gathered my like of a longer bridge is not common. I will say the 30 inch bridge is perfect for climbing and rappelling for me so I still use the stock bridge every time out.

Other than adding a couple of gear loops it's the one piece of saddle hunting equipment that I have left completely stock. I will say that I like a slightly longer bridge than the 30in bridge when sitting but I just swap in my lineman's belt after I get to height. That said, bridge length is a very individual choice and from what I've gathered my like of a longer bridge is not common. I will say the 30 inch bridge is perfect for climbing and rappelling for me so I still use the stock bridge every time out.

What length of bridge are you using? Or are you always changing.

What length of bridge are you using? Or are you always changing.

My preferred bridge length while sitting is about 39" long, quite a bit longer than average. Part of that is because I like to lean forward and rest my head on the bridge while in the saddle and if it's shorter than that the connecting carabiner sticks in my ear.

I have a large mantis and I have a similar waist size. I wish I had bought a x large. I found the same thing with the kestrel... size 1 kestrel was not comfortable. The size 2 kestrel - great.
I have not tried the x large mantis but when I sell the large I will order an x large.

Are you a “sitter” or “leaner”? I hunted out of a sit drag/rock harness this year and I’m kinda 50/50 on sit/leaning.

I am 50/50. Just depends on my mood really. I’ve enjoyed the Mantis more than any saddle I’ve used so far. You can’t go wrong getting the Large. If for some crazy reason you don’t like it, it’s an easy sell to someone else.

I tried the xl Mantis. I think it was too big. I’m a small 36” waist. I can wear some 34” but mostly 36.
I feel like I need a kestrel 1.5. Lol

I am 6' 205 lbs. I have a large mantis. It fits good. When I was trying to figure this out It seemed like the guys ours size with smaller butts liked the large.. Guys about the same height and weight with more "junk in the trunk" liked the XL.

I am 50/50. Just depends on my mood really. I’ve enjoyed the Mantis more than any saddle I’ve used so far. You can’t go wrong getting the Large. If for some crazy reason you don’t like it, it’s an easy sell to someone else.

Sweet I ordered the large. It’s still going to be better than the sit drag I was using. Ha

I am 6' 205 lbs. I have a large mantis. It fits good. When I was trying to figure this out It seemed like the guys ours size with smaller butts liked the large.. Guys about the same height and weight with more "junk in the trunk" liked the XL.

Hahahaha. My wife says I have a cute butt so I may be in trouble. Hahaha

Back