• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What targets are you all using?

WISCO

I have been using a blackhole target and it was great for field points. Now that I shot a few broadheads into it I am blowing through it with field points. The broadheads have pretty much ruined the target. Can anyone recommend a target that can take a little more broadhead abuse?

So I made my own, for way cheaper than buying one, and I can replace the material pretty easily and inexpensively. Using just some lumber, some hardware, and cheap floor foam panels. You can rotate the panels as they take damage, and then when needed you can just swap them out.

I followed this video here mostly, and it works great.

Edit: I used only two rods instead of 4. It still works great with the two, and I can push down on either side to relieve tension on the top nut to loosen it or tighten it as needed.

Rinehart 18-1 for broadheads. Field points can be a PITA to get out until it gets broken in.
Man those Rhineharts are expensive! How long have you had it? Have you shot any mechanical broadheads in it? I shoot Flying Arrow Archery heads, specifically the Kratos and the Toxic. The toxics are what ate up the blackhole.

So I made my own, for way cheaper than buying one, and I can replace the material pretty easily and inexpensively. Using just some lumber, some hardware, and cheap floor foam panels. You can rotate the panels as they take damage, and then when needed you can just swap them out.

I followed this video here mostly, and it works great.

Edit: I used only two rods instead of 4. It still works great with the two, and I can push down on either side to relieve tension on the top nut to loosen it or tighten it as needed.

Thanks for posting this video, Ill take a look at it once I'm off work. I think the rebuildable target might be the way to go and if I can save money even better!

Man those Rhineharts are expensive! How long have you had it? Have you shot any mechanical broadheads in it? I shoot Flying Arrow Archery heads, specifically the Kratos and the Toxic. The toxics are what ate up the blackhole.
I got one in May and have blown it out already. Currently trying to get Rinehart to make good on the on year warranty. I've shot my iron will wides in it a bunch. No mechanicals yet though

I shoot a ton though 40-80 arrows a day

I've had a Rhinehart 18-1 going into year 10 and it's getting there but still holding up. I think just fieldpoints you could shoot a lifetime but broadheads do blow it up pretty good. I don't shoot a ton of broadheads though just a couple dozen shots a year to sort and test all my hunting arrows.

I just got a 365 archery target. Maybe 60 arrows in it so far. I don't think the main target foam will be as durable as the Rinehart foam, but its only $70 to replace the core and I really like the built in backstop for long range shooting

I think i bought it last year. They were offering a rebate of like $20 at the time. I've shot fixed heads and a practice tip for Grim Reapers into it. I think about any target is going to get chewed up by broadheads after a while. I shoot them enough to check zero and go back to field points. It even stops by crossbow arrows though. They aren't easy to get out though.

Trad archery here, I use a American Whitetail HybriMAT I got from Lancaster. I’ve replaced the center once in 2 years. Works great for field points. I have a block target for broadheads that I only use for that.

Rinehart 18-1 for broadheads. Field points can be a PITA to get out until it gets broken in.

Yep, like mine except hated all the bright yellow targets painted all over it. I scrubbed mine down with hot water and dawn dish soap to remove the release agent and then shot it with flat black spray paint.

When I need a new broadhead target that is stationary, I'll get a Blob target. The Rinehart 18-1 is great to take with you though (light and handy). I do have a mental block with shooting broadheads at a medium to small target though. I don't want to miss and hurt a broadhead and so that gets in my head and I don't shoot as well as I do on a much larger target.

When I need a new broadhead target that is stationary, I'll get a Blob target. The Rinehart 18-1 is great to take with you though (light and handy). I do have a mental block with shooting broadheads at a medium to small target though. I don't want to miss and hurt a broadhead and so that gets in my head and I don't shoot as well as I do on a much larger target.

Me as well. I have a Morell bag target if I want to shoot further distances. I actually probably need to replace it. I left it out all year and it got kind of dry rotted.

Me as well. I have a Morell bag target if I want to shoot further distances. I actually probably need to replace it. I left it out all year and it got kind of dry rotted.

UV can tear them up also....my field point target is a huge Lowe's construction debris bag stuffed with 1,000s of plastic bags.....outer bag starting to fail horribly all at once and only on the side that the sun hits (I store it under a lean to). It lasted a good 4 years though.

I bought that reinhart for $145.00 several years ago and its still going. I see they are now $215.00 wow. LGB

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Rinehart that I've had for 10 years. Its a square with 6 sides. I still have 2 solid sides left. Expensive yes but 10 years come one, can't beat it. I also shoot my bow basically all year long. About 6-12 arrows a day most days.

I have never shot a mechanical into it. Lots of broadheads but never a mechanical.

Rinehart 18-1 is the best value IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In case OP doesn't know, this thing has 18 facets on it so you can keep rotating it so that it takes a long to shoot it out because you keep sending arrows through at different angles. Smart design. They should make a slightly larger version in addition to the usual.

In case OP doesn't know, this thing has 18 facets on it so you can keep rotating it so that it takes a long to shoot it out because you keep sending arrows through at different angles. Smart design. They should make a slightly larger version in addition to the usual.
I googled it. I will definitely have to check it out.

Back