• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What to use for lock stitching?

Stickbow91

What braided nylon twine is everyone using to lock stitch Amsteel?

Last edited:
There is a discussion on this in saddle customization call amsteel buries. Good info. Copy this off a reply from Samson rope rep.

As for as lock stitching is concerned, DO NOT use Zing-It or Lash-It. "We recommended to not use Lashit rope for lock-stitching. Dyneema or high grade fiber should not be used for lock-stitching as the lock-stitching does not add strength to the rope and serves the purpose of holding the splice in-tact before first load and prevent the splice from being pulled apart. If you use higher grade material like Dyneema, it could lead to potential issues once the rope is loaded and may even start cutting into itself if not lock-stitched properly. We recommend a polyester/nylon twine. I usually recommend a twine size that matches or is a little bit smaller than the width of a single strand on the actual rope itself."

He also sent me sizing chart for the lock stitch twine sizing. 1/4" should use #18 twine & 1/2" use #42 twine. See attached pdf.

I was looking myself because I was making my first bridge.

Interesting... thanks for sharing. I've always used zing it and have had no issues, but I will definately research it further based on above from Samson.

Back