• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

what tree?

noxninja

Is there a particular type of tree (don't say dead cause that would be a given) that you won't climb? I would rather not climb a scaley bark hickory. Its too noisy and a pain in the neck IMO.

Scaly bark hickory and wild cherry. Neither one are ideal lol. Poplar, maple and oak are what I hang in mainly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's real windy I will not hunt a popple tree.

I hate and I mean hate hunting red pine trees. To much trimming, really loud catchy bark. Almost all of my sets so far this year have been in red pines mostly for lack of better options.

I try to avoid pines when I can. The sap gets on everything. I don't have too many of them where I live now, but where I grew up they are everywhere.

Not that I won't climb one but a water oak somehow always finds a way to remove at least one layer of the underside of my forearm during a hunt...leaving it just open enough for it be somewhere between a carpet burn and a deep scrape. Invariably this always happens during a hot weather hunt so sweat gets in the wound to maximize pain and discomfort for the afternoon sit.

I have yet to climb a locust...dont intend to because that could get interesting.
Any tree with a massive poison ivy vine usually gets a pass from me.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk
+1 on this....its amazing there is one place that I hunt that literally every tree has either limbs I can't get around, massive stalks of poison ivy, or the bases are so swelled that I can't get a good starting point to climb...my buddy asks everytime..."So how did your hunt go?" I respond.."what hunt? I walked around til dark looking for a tree to climb..."

Lobblolly pines are loud but ill climb them. First hunt of the year, i choose to change my set early am in the dark because of shifty wind. When it got day light i saw i was in the ivy lol.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I have had issues with setting my platform on hard sugar maples because they are so hard the platform does not seem to set well and can slide. I also avoid cherry because of noise and after a sit last week, I also think twice about red pine for the same reasons.

For some unlucky reason all but two of my sits this year were in red pine. The trick is to lightly scrape the bark where your tether goes. For my feet I do everything I can to not touch them on the tree. The only thing that really really bothers me is my linemens belt. Not so bad if you risk it to climb without it, but hooking it up to attach the teather is no fun.

Not a tree, but one thing I try to avoid is large thorn/pricker bushes when going mobile. No quiet easy way to deal with them. Plus they are magnets to any kind of quiet bow hunting clothes.

Back