• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What will you test or tinker?

Camelcluch

SH Member
It’s the season to refine. I usually don’t change a lot but there are always things I want to try. I’m trying out the TAC Vane Summit with a lighted nock. The Summit is 4.8 grain, I think, so the build stays around my four fletch 2.75 Drivers. I’m going to try a few heads but the Evolution Hyde is top runner. Last, I would like to find a hand held to hunt with. Stan Axis is the front runner.
What’s on your radar?

Hopefully the recurve I ordered in October shows up soon. I'll be playing with that and will likely order a 90# APA Black Mamba late spring.

I screwed around a lot with arrows last year and have enough for a Zombie Apocalypse now.

It’s the season to refine. I usually don’t change a lot but there are always things I want to try. I’m trying out the TAC Vane Summit with a lighted nock. The Summit is 4.8 grain, I think, so the build stays around my four fletch 2.75 Drivers. I’m going to try a few heads but the Evolution Hyde is top runner. Last, I would like to find a hand held to hunt with. Stan Axis is the front runner.
What’s on your radar?
Just checked out the Hydes. WOW, those look crazy. I'll have to try them. I'm usually a Reaper man

Reaper is good for sure. Dale, the owner of Evolution, is the designer of the now Bloodsport Gravedigger. Evolution just makes a better head with material and tolerances. The GD head own the 100 yard challenge when it first came out.

I had a new D-Loop installed on my Elite Ritual 30 and turned the poundage down from 57# to 52#, at my 29" DL. This is in preparation for upcoming 3D shoots, along with a new set of Easton Flatline arrows cut as short as possible (26.5") and with 85 gr. tip weights. 315 TAW with 10% FOC. The previous hunting setup was with a 27" Gold Tip Hunter XT 300 spine, 100 gr. brass insert, 150 gr. tip weight and 3" feathers. 525 TAW and 22% FOC. My Trophy Ridge React single pin sight was maxed out at 50 yards with the hunting setup. Now it has a 75 yard max without any hold over. :)

This fall....or late summer, I intend to build a heavier arrow with a higher FOC and something in a heavy single bevel broadhead. I'll most likely add weight tubes to the existing arrows, which will add another 120 grains, change to a 150 grain brass insert and a 200 gr. tip weight. This setup will be in the area of 745 TAW and approximately a 26% FOC. Of course, the draw weight will be increased back to the original 57#. :cool: Should be a killer setup that will slice through everything!

Been inspired by the 3d print thread to try to make/print a tripod for my bow.

I feel like I have my climbing and platform game dialed so no changes there.

Want to order a different saddle. Like to try a 2 panel. Partly because I gave away my backup recently and like to have a extra for hunting with buddies or if anything else comes up.

I have to get my ethics insert/outserts out of my arrows bent about half of them. Won't be buying the version I have ever again. I think they must be a different metal than the last set I had because I never had any trouble with my earlier set.

Finish setting up my bow shop/trophy/hobby room. Been working on it for almost a year now and am getting close. Should be getting my buck back from last year in a couple weeks. It's been my goal to be finished with everything when I get it back.

IMG_6253.jpeg
Saw these while I was getting ready to order arrow shafts. I haven’t ordered these yet but I’m intrigued. Sure someone out there has used them but I didn’t turn up a thread on it when I searched. Anyone had experience with them?!

My platform needs to be replaced but I think I got that taken care of already and I need to replace the hunting vest. I have a surplus vest I like very much but it needs improving. I want/need to figure out how to stow my climbing stirrups better....I want a 30degree molle pouch that is ridged at the top like a pistol holster.. 10" tall, 3" wide, and 3" deep. Probably have to make it myself

View attachment 98909
Saw these while I was getting ready to order arrow shafts. I haven’t ordered these yet but I’m intrigued. Sure someone out there has used them but I didn’t turn up a thread on it when I searched. Anyone had experience with them?!
Very interesting. Says they were originally designed for Olympic recurve; my only hang-up for hunting is that they seem like they’d whistle in flight.

Very interesting. Says they were originally designed for Olympic recurve; my only hang-up for hunting is that they seem like they’d whistle in flight.
That was my first thought and when I showed my wife (who doesn’t care other than pretending to be interested in things I’m interested in) she immediately said “wouldn’t it whistle?”

That was my first thought and when I showed my wife (who doesn’t care other than pretending to be interested in things I’m interested in) she immediately said “wouldn’t it whistle?”
Not a rocket scientist but I suppose you would probably gain some speed with the reduced drag. If you end up building some arrows with them I’d be curious to see your results.

Not a rocket scientist but I suppose you would probably gain some speed with the reduced drag. If you end up building some arrows with them I’d be curious to see your results.
I went ahead and ordered them, I’m curious. Frankly I’d been wanting a reason to need a Chrono anyway so I got that ordered too, yeah I know, report to support thread asap.

In an effort to be on topic I’m going to test those vanes but the biggest thing I’m doing is working on scent control. I don’t have a known issue, didn’t get busted that I know of, but I personally think there is value as a long term proposition as my hunting goals change in taking better steps to minimize scent.

With that in mind I organized my clothing in totes, put a silicone bead around the lip to help ensure things are air tight, or closer to it at the very least, and placed activated charcoal in each tote.

I went ahead and ordered them, I’m curious. Frankly I’d been wanting a reason to need a Chrono anyway so I got that ordered too, yeah I know, report to support thread asap.

In an effort to be on topic I’m going to test those vanes but the biggest thing I’m doing is working on scent control. I don’t have a known issue, didn’t get busted that I know of, but I personally think there is value as a long term proposition as my hunting goals change in taking better steps to minimize scent.

With that in mind I organized my clothing in totes, put a silicone bead around the lip to help ensure things are air tight, or closer to it at the very least, and placed activated charcoal in each tote.
Not laughing at your scent control, just at your support thread comment.
I actually think you are on the right track with the scent control and I’m not a scent freak but I do try to be mindful about it. Noble tinkering IMO.

New arrow set up as of 2 weeks ago:

Altra premier .166 with 50 grain outsert
Super Sabre wraps and vanes
125 grain Sevr 2.0 broadheads

TAW of 510 with about 15% FOC. They fly true, for sure

New sight: Montana Black Gold Dual Track. Really liking the 2 pin vertical setup, especially with the adjustable bottom pin. Have them set at 20 and 30. Slider will get me to around 75 ish before I have vane clearance issues.

Back