• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Whats the perfect one stick

onestringer

SH Member
I am going to build another stick to one stick. Currently I have a 1" square tube stick that is 14" long, my bottom step has a double aider, stick has a cam cleat for attachment. I think I cut my stick too short. I am going to build another one this time out of .75" bar stock, drilled out some for weight reduction, dano's steps and stand offs, the stand offs will rotate 15-20 degrees on the 3/4" stock. I can't decide if 16, 18, or 20" would be best. Leaning towards 18 currently. Any suggestions?

That’s going to depend a lot on your height, I like a 24” stick and can make that step easy but I’m 6’4” that may be harder for some one shorter or with a lot of extra clothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You don’t really use the top step anyway so height really isn’t an issue. Especially if you never unstrap the stick to move it.

With that being said, mine is currently 22”.

Whatever distance your comfortable step height is. I only use the top step on my final stick placement. I set my platform at that height and the step up on the top step of my stick before stepping over to my platform. Ironically the step to the top steps of my helium is the point of my one stick process where I am the most uncomfortable. I guess its because I just don't step up on the upper steps as often but I am always really uncomfortable making that step. This is the point where I worry about kickout since I'm moving above the tie in point.

I would suggest sitting in a chair so your leg is bent at a 90 degree angle. Measure the distance from the floor to under your knee and using that for your step spacing. That will ensure you can comfortably put the top step behind you knee when climbing and adjusting your tether.

I would suggest sitting in a chair so your leg is bent at a 90 degree angle. Measure the distance from the floor to under your knee and using that for your step spacing. That will ensure you can comfortably put the top step behind you knee when climbing and adjusting your tether.

Do it with your heavy hunting clothing on

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I'm 5'11" and run a 24" stick with 22" step spacing with a single step aider. I don't run a cam cleat but I do run an amsteel daisy chain. It sets up well for me and allows for quick stick moves. I also really like having an artisan platform on top.

The platform lets me simply stop when I get the stick to hunting height, slap my 4 steps on the tree for 360 degree shooting and move my tether up to hunt. I don't like running a traditional platform when I single stick just because of that much extra bulk and movement.

I also break my full size pack down and only carry a fanny pack with water, knife, snack, gloves/mask, headphones and a phone charger. My ROS will fit in there too. I have my aider built from tubular webbing with a water knot to a small carabiner on either end to where I can clip from the bottom step to the top and sling the stick across my back. So my bow is in my hands and the stick and fanny pack are behind me. Makes for a really sleek system when hiking in and is relatively noiseless.

Any thoughts on a platform on the top of your stick to eliminate an extra thing to carry?

I am currently using SRT and this platform. I may cut a Helium and use the one stick for a platform instead. The Primal step is kind of heavy.

Any thoughts on a platform on the top of your stick to eliminate an extra thing to carry?

I am currently using SRT and this platform. I may cut a Helium and use the one stick for a platform instead. The Primal step is kind of heavy.

I personally think its a great way to reduce what you carry, for sure!

Thanks fellas. I think my original question was poorly worded. I only use the top of my stick when I am finished climbing. I am looking for what is a comfortable stick to reach down and get when making a move. My 12” piece of solid stock arrived yesterday. Think I might build it today before Christmas dinner. And Merry Christmas everyone.

Thanks fellas. I think my original question was poorly worded. I only use the top of my stick when I am finished climbing. I am looking for what is a comfortable stick to reach down and get when making a move. My 12” piece of solid stock arrived yesterday. Think I might build it today before Christmas dinner. And Merry Christmas everyone.

I'd like to see this when you're done with it!

When I was learning one sticking I thought about arm swing being the limits of how you can move your stick. How far down you can reach is one end and how high up you can reach is the other. If you want to hang upside down in the saddle it can be bigger. For me, I figured my arm length times two was about right with my hand on the strap release. An aider seemed necessary with the stick in the highest position and I could only climb up to the middle step on my Hawk Helium so I could reach down to release the stick. So I climb on the two aider steps and the two lower Helium steps for about a 54 inch height for each stick movement. I have not tried one sticking with any other length than the 30 inch stock Helium.

Here it is. weighs 31 oz. my 14” stick weighs 28 oz. now I need @DanO to make me a 3/4” step with a sewn double step aider.

cb4ecea4c7d593ba6bc5dab7eddb928f.jpg
76db9126f27a451c01643eb6159f67b2.jpg
804ec996f4210f7c4b06691ef5c73f31.jpg
29acb8832d212a9c4952f121ccfa6db1.jpg

Here it is. weighs 31 oz. my 14” stick weighs 28 oz. now I need @DanO to make me a 3/4” step with a sewn double step aider.

cb4ecea4c7d593ba6bc5dab7eddb928f.jpg
76db9126f27a451c01643eb6159f67b2.jpg
804ec996f4210f7c4b06691ef5c73f31.jpg
29acb8832d212a9c4952f121ccfa6db1.jpg

Do you tie your half hitches or are you comfortable just running your rope into the cam cleat? That's what hangs me up about a cam cleat is taking the extra time to tie a half hitch or two while I'm hanging there.

Do you tie your half hitches or are you comfortable just running your rope into the cam cleat? That's what hangs me up about a cam cleat is taking the extra time to tie a half hitch or two while I'm hanging there.

No I do not put half hitches in. Probably flying close to the sun, but I am tethered to so I won’t fall far.

Back