• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

What's your strategy for dealing with PRD?

GTel

When Post Rut Disorder starts to kick in, I play a round when the first 60 degree day arrives. What's your strategy?
c63dbd991b2d3275002082a1cd4ae6a1.jpg

Not Sent from up in a tree

Last edited:
Our season ends with the rut in full swing still. Or that's my opinion. I squirrel hunt and scout. Kinda sucks to still be bumping bucks with does after season ends, but it is what it is.

Still beats working though right? Doesn't look like there will be any 60 degree days coming up around here for quite a while. Enjoy while you can.

Watching THP videos, scouring this site for info, scouting, DIY projects (HYS Strap and arrow spinner have already been completed) and working on the honey do list that I neglected since season opened.... in that order of priority

North half of the state has different rut timing than the southern part. Just about to get right down south. Duck season just opened. Plenty of other tasty critters to chase too.

PRD here in Michigan sets in during late November. Deer season runs thru Jan 1st so I still get out there and hunt while I can. I hunt primarily remaining food sources hoping to catch those bucks trying to catch up on their weight gain after a tough rut season and before a hard winter lock down. Snow will pile up quick and the deer will move out of the hardwoods I normally hunt to winter yards (aka cedar swamps).

Once season ends its virtually impossible to get off the road enough to park anywhere due to the snowbanks so hunting and even scouting activities end until the late April time frame when the snow melts enough to get out in the woods. Luckily this coincides with turkey season so I can get a much needed hunting fix. As always though my turkey hunting is 50% deer scouting as the trails and travel corridors are very visible in the snow packed leaves. It drives my daughter nuts when we're turkey hunting and I'm wandering off following deer trails :).

Ducks, squirrels and I also bump my weekly running mileage but back up.

It's a rough time of year. After two weeks of rutcation, my sleep schedule is all jacked up from 3:30-4 AM wakeups. I'm still not back to normal and feeling groggy throughout the day. Yes I suppose I am a *****, but my body needs 8 hours of shut eye. Got a nasty head cold that won't go away. Kids gave it to me, further complicating sleep deprivation. My focus and productivity at work have been terrible.

I have been doing a lot of cyberscouting for next year (not related to work productivity at all, I swear!). Starting to dissect some new areas I want to to check out. This is the absolute best time of year to scout, but I haven't been in the woods for two weeks. Life gets in the way.

Rifle season starts Saturday. Friday morning I'll be going out to my family's camp for the first day festivities. I don't have any tags so I'll be chief keg operator, line cook, and designated dragger. We call the role camp bitch, it's an honorable title for those tagged out. After that is a week of doe season. I have some time off, friends visiting both weekends, and a few doe tags to fill. Flying solo during archery gets lonely. Really looking forward to some hunts with good friends and family.

Post Rut??? Not yet here in Arkansas. Something is wrong,, bucks still running together and no swollen necksB3A920CA-758C-4AA1-8CC8-E2511A583151.png

I hunt as much as I can till the season closes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Yeah our archery season goes through the first weekend of January. Still have one weekend of firearms and two weeks of muzzleloader. Plus a bonus anterless season for certain counties. Two tags, including one buck, left. Thinking positively.

Back