• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

When do you maneuver in your saddle?

putt4doe

Vendor Rep
One of the things that I have found in the last couple years of saddle hunting, was that with the new found ability to move all around the tree to shoot deer, I kept getting busted. I later realized it was because I was trying to move into position when the deer were 40-50 yards out anticipating where they'd be around 20-30 yards for the shot. It took me a while to realize that deer's eyesight is set up to pick up movement at that 30-50 yard range - so anytime I'd make any movement to get into position, they'd see me and spook.

I later learned that if an adjustment was needed, I had to try and get into position when the deer was a couple hundred yards out, or better yet, wait until the deer was already where I wanted to shoot it before I had to slowly move around the tree, draw and shoot. This seems counter-intuitive to me because as a stand hunter, I would just be still until it was time to draw, but that's also because I wasn't able to move around the tree like I can now.

I'm curious if y'all have found the same thing - and when you guys have found the best time to move into position to take the shot has been.

I have found something similar. I move into position the moment I see the deer if I feel it is far enough that I can get away with it, or I will be patient and play the situation out and either make small movements as things develop to get into position or make a bigger movement as I am about to make the shot. The second 2 options are situational and I would always prefer to be in the position I think I need to be in before the deer gets close.

This is a great thread. I'd like to hear what this season brings for this topic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So many factors, how a deers eyes are designed, amount of light, terrain, cover, background, ambient noise......only in a saddle

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm a right handed shooter:

Lately, I've been setting up so that I would anticipate deer traveling into a zone between my 6 and 11 o'clock and limit myself to only shooting in this anticipated zone. I also try to find a tree which has good thick/tight cover on my right side. This minimizes my movement, minimizes my setup, and makes me a more patient and selective hunter. It also allows me to be in position with very minimal movement until I draw my bow. My feet barely move. In fact, I could probably hunt using just the top of my Muddy climbing stick.

I briefly went through a time when I was always trying to set up to be able to shoot 360°. What I realized was that I was getting busted more, and typically hunting on telephone poles wondering why I hadn't just used a lightweight hand climber....

jhicks54 said:

Lately, I've been setting up so that I would anticipate deer traveling into a zone between my 6 and 11 o'clock and limit myself to only shooting in this anticipated zone. I also try to find a tree which has good thick/tight cover on my right side. This minimizes my movement, minimizes my setup, and makes me a more patient and selective hunter. It also allows me to be in position with very minimal movement until I draw my bow. My feet barely move. In fact, I could probably hunt using just the top of my Muddy climbing stick.

I briefly went through a time when I was always trying to set up to be able to shoot 360°. What I realized was that I was getting busted more, and typically hunting on telephone poles wondering why I hadn't just used a lightweight hand climber....

I completely agree with you. As much as I want to be able to shoot 360, I think sometimes your setup can be much more effective in situations where you can't. This is where scouting and prep comes into play!

jhicks54 said:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

I try and find the same type of cover. If I can find a split tree and get up in the crotch of it with lots of cover I find it to be PERFECT. Also I completely agree with the 6-11:00 shooting lane. It makes for much better hunting!

Back