• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

When things are slow...

TradBowGuy

SH Member
The "Southern End" of Lancaster County, PA
The scenario goes like this-You've found your spot, climbed the tree & are all set up...then time begins to pass... nothing moving, no activity, just you & the woods (which is still pretty cool, IMO!) ;)

You could decide to move, but for some reason, you decide to stay.

Every now & then, you notice a group of songbirds flitting thru the woods, lookin' for something to eat. You watch them as they pass by-maybe sometimes, one of 'em lands on your tether, bow, or platform to check you out! That has happened to me plenty of times!

So, what I do now is take along a sandwich baggie filled about 1/3 full of sunflower seeds. We have feeders in our back yard, so I've always got seeds. When you see them coming, if you put a few in your hand, rest it on your bridge/tether, & remain motionless. Those little guys & gals will eventually land on your hand to get a free meal, because they ALL know what sunflower seeds look like (especially Chickadees!)

It's a hoot when they do- you can feel their tiny talons gripping your finger tips when they land!

I do the same thing when hunting on the ground.

I'm working on making a tiny platform that can fold up in my pack & hang on my gear hanger, so I can dump a few seeds on it, lean back & watch the show!

Just a little something that hopefully helps you enjoy your time in the woods, when things are slow!

The scenario goes like this-You've found your spot, climbed the tree & are all set up...then time begins to pass... nothing moving, no activity, just you & the woods (which is still pretty cool, IMO!) ;)

You could decide to move, but for some reason, you decide to stay.

Every now & then, you notice a group of songbirds flitting thru the woods, lookin' for something to eat. You watch them as they pass by-maybe sometimes, one of 'em lands on your tether, bow, or platform to check you out! That has happened to me plenty of times!

So, what I do now is take along a sandwich baggie filled about 1/3 full of sunflower seeds. We have feeders in our back yard, so I've always got seeds. When you see them coming, if you put a few in your hand, rest it on your bridge/tether, & remain motionless. Those little guys & gals will eventually land on your hand to get a free meal, because they ALL know what sunflower seeds look like (especially Chickadees!)

It's a hoot when they do- you can feel their tiny talons gripping your finger tips when they land!

I do the same thing when hunting on the ground.

I'm working on making a tiny platform that can fold up in my pack & hang on my gear hanger, so I can dump a few seeds on it, lean back & watch the show!

Just a little something that hopefully helps you enjoy your time in the woods, when things are slow!
That's a great idea! Takes nothing to throw a handful of sunflower seeds in a baggie and throw it in your pack.
I used to feed the birds by hand when I was a little kid growing up. One day after school my mom sent me out in front of the big picture window in the livingroom and told me to grab a handful of seed, hold my hand out near the feeder and hold really still. She ended up getting pictures of the Chickadees landing not only on my hand but on top of my head.

all kidding aside though, and yes seeing deer is still better than anything i say after in my opinion, but in the slow times i have come to enjoy being in the woods because of the birds.

one of my cooler experiences was not during a hunt but walking out at night after one. I was walking out with a headlamp through chest high grass/brambles, and watching small birds darting and diving in and out of the grass in front of me, and the combination of them dissapearing in and out of the headlamp/surrounding black of night or how it almost looked like they were flying fish swimming in front of me the way they were diving in and out of the grasses was just really cool to watch. not sure if they were trying to shoo me away from nest(s) or using my lamp/motion to feed, or just scared of me, but that expereince solidified to me that birds are cool. but i do sometimes wonder if my interest/distraction in birds is contributing to less interactions with deer.

I live, eat, sleep and dream deer. I'm thinking about deer and deer hunting 24/7/365. I have a problem I know. Still, if I get busted by a deer because I'm feeding a bird instead of paying attention for deer then it's not the end of the world. I'll fill my tags. Then again if your one of these guys that have been deer hunting for 26 years and you have shot only 2 deer in your hunting career then...............just sayin :rolleyes:

I live, eat, sleep and dream deer. I'm thinking about deer and deer hunting 24/7/365. I have a problem I know. Still, if I get busted by a deer because I'm feeding a bird instead of paying attention for deer then it's not the end of the world. I'll fill my tags. Then again if your one of these guys that have been deer hunting for 26 years and you have shot only 2 deer in your hunting career then...............just sayin :rolleyes:
So whay you're saying is you self identify as doe??

Back