• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

When to retire rappel rope?

Nitrous Kyle

Saw another post today about someone saying they wrecked their rappel rope after a month and a half. Got me thinking, when do you guys recommend changing out rappel rope? Every 2 years? After a certain number of rappels? What visual indicators would you use to make that call other than the obvious cuts or knicks? I am currently using Canyon C-IV rope.

Thanks,
Kyle

My plan is to use it one season on each end unless something happens to it like a visual nick or fraying.

Saw another post today about someone saying they wrecked their rappel rope after a month and a half. Got me thinking, when do you guys recommend changing out rappel rope? Every 2 years? After a certain number of rappels? What visual indicators would you use to make that call other than the obvious cuts or knicks? I am currently using Canyon C-IV rope.

Thanks,
Kyle
The video above is excellent. There are a few tests such as visual: looking for signs of frays, worn out yarns and especially look for melting signs from friction. Then there are integrity tests such as finding a good stiffer section of rope and bending it into a loop notice how it holds its shape (some ropes more so than others) then with a bad rope when you bend the loop it will not hold shape. These are quick indicators for rope in need of retiring. If it’s just a bad section and you have a long enough rope, you can cut out the bad section. If not, retire the rope immediately if it has any of the problems listed above. Most rope manufacturers suggest rope retirement based on volume of use. If you use it frequently it should be checked before and after each use and retired annually. If you only use it like 20 times a year and it’s passing visual checks you can utilize your rope up to 3 or 4 years. Whatever you do, be safe and inspect all ropes including tethers and linesman ropes before and after you use them.

Back