• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

When to retire your carabiners

BCHunter

Vendor Rep
I found this article very informative, it's good to know that I won't have to replace them very often since I went with some high end double locking carabiners.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Good to know. I was reading about metals and that if loaded over and over that aluminum will eventually break (which is scary). I guess I'm a little confused then. How can both be true (aluminum fatigues (more than steel) but there is no life span)? The information on fatigue of various metals was based upon engineering sources and not in dispute. Also, I guess you have to say it out loud for everyone, but it's amazing that anyone would run a cracked carabiner with a gate that doesn't close right!

I'll still probably retire carabiners every 5 years or so, and consider that as a small expense. I like screw locks and you can get those on sale for 10 bucks a pop and I only need 3 or 4 at any time with my current setup.

Good to know. I was reading about metals and that if loaded over and over that aluminum will eventually break (which is scary). I guess I'm a little confused then. How can both be true (aluminum fatigues (more than steel) but there is no life span)? The information on fatigue of various metals was based upon engineering sources and not in dispute. Also, I guess you have to say it out loud for everyone, but it's amazing that anyone would run a cracked carabiner with a gate that doesn't close right!

I'll still probably retire carabiners every 5 years or so, and consider that as a small expense. I like screw locks and you can get those on sale for 10 bucks a pop and I only need 3 or 4 at any time with my current setup.
Yeah, with our hobby $40-80 in carabiners every 5-10 years that's just a drop in the bucket for most guys. Especially when it comes to safety.

It makes me feel good to know that carabiners can get that bad without failure mine have a long way to even lose the anodizing, let alone wear a groove in the aluminum from rope rubbing on it.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Back