• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

When would you start poaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.

robstewart

So here is a hypothetical question as a thought exercise only. I want to start by saying I believe strongly in the importance of our game laws and protecting wildlife from abuse. Animal populations are kept healthy because of proper management and hunting regulations are key.

But things are starting to look bad. I’m not worried about the virus but I am worried about the side effects to society. Lockdowns, absenteeism that causes interruptions to services like water, electricity, public transit and of course fuel and food shortages.

So the question is, at what point, if any, would you abandon following the regulations and start poaching ie hunting for survival?

I think for me I’d probably start once we are getting low on food (we have been stocking up) if the grocery stores are empty. I think I’d start small with things like the squirrels and rabbits (all out of season now) in my yard. If things were really bad and we have bugged out to my parents place I’d probably take advantage of the small herd of deer that visit the property that I could harvest from inside the house with the window open. Similarly I’d use snares (illegal here) for the rabbits they have and I’d try raccoon and porcupine too.

All this is hypothetical and hopefully doesn’t happen, but it’s what keeps me awake these nights.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple guys were talking about this at work,
how to survive the apocalypse.
I told them all a guy needs is guns and ammo, plenty of water and stock up on the spices, lots of spice.
The food will come to the house all by itself. Lol

Traps work better for food harvesting since they work while you’re doing other things.

If you believe it's going that way start early. Not near enough game for everyone. You'll be eating starlings and sparrows before it's over if it gets real.

If you believe it's going that way start early. Not near enough game for everyone. You'll be eating starlings and sparrows before it's over if it gets real.

That’s the thing, as a person who respects the law and the animals I would not make the decision to break the law lightly. While one could go so far as to say, “screw it” and head out and poach deer, fill their freezer and make a years worth of jerky next week, I don’t think that’s warranted either.

Maybe for someone it’s a week after not being able to find groceries at the store. Maybe it starts the day you get to your bug out location if you have one.

Another aspect I see to this is the risk vs reward. Not the risk of getting caught, but the risk of wasting time and energy and resources. I think my first rabbit cost me about $100 in gas so what if you decide to head out to the bush, burn $20 worth of gas and come back empty handed with no way to refuel?

Wow!! All of this publicity about the corona virus, The flu has killed more people in the US this year than the coronavirus has in Asia. Look at the demographic in asia, 22 people living in a 1 bedroom shack, half of those people are elderly. Asians have too much respect for their elders to send them off to homes, but the higher occupancy of their homes facilitates the spread of the virus much easier.

Wow!! All of this publicity about the corona virus, The flu has killed more people in the US this year than the coronavirus has in Asia. Look at the demographic in asia, 22 people living in a 1 bedroom shack, half of those people are elderly. Asians have too much respect for their elders to send them off to homes, but the higher occupancy of their homes facilitates the spread of the virus much easier.
This is true as far as we know. I will never trust the government to tell me the truth and if they did you could bet it would be to late.

If it's not serious why are countries quarantining people. Make no mistake we are next. As a people we are too stupid not to be.

Like I said, I’m not worried about the virus. I’m worried about people panicking or the government enacted measures that push people to break the law.

Besides, this is meant to be a mental exercise for fun. Doesn’t necessarily have to be about corona virus. Could just as easily be about a CME/EMP or other SHTF scenario.

This is true as far as we know. I will never trust the government to tell me the truth and if they did you could bet it would be to late.

If it's not serious why are countries quarantining people. Make no mistake we are next. As a people we are too stupid not to be.

Let’s assume it’s way worse than they are saying. With our supply chain the way it is, imagine if everyone went to the store RIGHT NOW. The shelves would be empty in minutes. There wouldn’t be anything else coming for a few days.

The government is actually working in our best interest when they lie to us in the sense it throttles panic and the resulting hoarding. If everyone filled their pantry over the space of a couple months the system could handle it. Right now it’s the people who are less on the sheep spectrum they are checking their cupboards and stocking up.

Like I said, I’m not worried about the virus. I’m worried about people panicking or the government enacted measures that push people to break the law.

Besides, this is meant to be a mental exercise for fun. Doesn’t necessarily have to be about corona virus. Could just as easily be about a CME/EMP or other SHTF scenario.

I know we not supposed to talk politics but this virus has been purposely blown up by the media and being used politically...IMO
I think we're all gonna make it guys. Whatever the media is hyping up to scare you, you can be pretty sure it is the big nothing burger

I know we not supposed to talk politics but this virus has been purposely blown up by the media and being used politically...IMO
I think we're all gonna make it guys. Whatever the media is hyping up to scare you, you can be pretty sure it is the big nothing burger

The panic is the virus. So when it comes to having food and water on hand it’s about staying ahead of everyone else’s panic shopping.

This is true whether the MSM are exaggerating to get views or not.

Pressure cooked food in mason Jars lasts a long time, in a shtf scenario, you need enough food to last until your garden grows, and you can begin to farm. Like everyone else said, there are way more people than wild game. Rabbits, pigs, vegetables and blue crawfish are the best things to farm. Blue crawfish have been studied and it is speculated can actually reproduce asexually........but people are crazy. The “crazy cat ladies” probable have the best crop when it comes down to shtf food!

Pressure cooked food in mason Jars lasts a long time, in a shtf scenario, you need enough food to last until your garden grows, and you can begin to farm. Like everyone else said, there are way more people than wild game. Rabbits, pigs, vegetables and blue crawfish are the best things to farm. Blue crawfish have been studied and it is speculated can actually reproduce asexually........but people are crazy. The “crazy cat ladies” probable have the best crop when it comes down to shtf food!
Just so happens I've got one of them a few doors down! I have always got food and plenty of it. I may have to spend a few days dehydrating it but I got it!

I've actually kicked around figuring out exactly what it would take to keep a freezer running in a grid down situation but haven't got that far.

Imo ones biggest enemy is our own government. Once they have pilfered everyone else's wealth they will turn on their own people.

Never need to poach. There are 2000 pigs in the barn. A 8000 bu of corn still in storage. And I have an eternal hope that cannot be taken. No need for panic. And thousands of bushels of winter wheat in the ground to harvest in July.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Never need to poach. There are 2000 pigs in the barn. A 8000 bu of corn still in storage. And I have an eternal hope that cannot be taken. No need for panic. And thousands of bushels of winter wheat in the ground to harvest in July.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
You really shouldn't advertise your food supply.. Yummy!!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back