• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Where should I look at backpacks?

MattMan81

SH Member
So I have been reading through the back pack threads. Like everything it is all a personal preference. So is there any other place that has a good selection of packs other than Cabela's/BP? (There priority seems to be there stuff) I will make a trip there to put my hands on them and try to see what I like and don't like. Any where else to look like Swap meets? Army surplus?
Am I missing something?
Thanks

Is there a specific pack? Most big box stores will feature their own line of packs. Local archery shop might have some.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Backpacks are a DEEEEEEP DAAAAAAARK hole.

Lot's of opinions and can be tailored to specifically how you hunt, what you pack, how you climb/sit and what you do with the animal after harvest.

Good luck, but if you're like me, you're just a few years away from having several because none are 'just right'...

I personally use a Badlands DASH, and am very happy with it.

Platform: Predator
Climbing Method: Pole Climbers or BEAST Sticks
Saddle: Wear it in
Self Film: Sold it all (wasn't for me) but it held all my camera gear including AX53, GoPro, Camera Arm, Fluid Head, tree mounts etc

Essentially, this pack holds everything I need and more, but I don't take the kitchen sink.

Again, good luck!

Last edited:
So I have been reading through the back pack threads. Like everything it is all a personal preference. So is there any other place that has a good selection of packs other than Cabela's/BP? (There priority seems to be there stuff) I will make a trip there to put my hands on them and try to see what I like and don't like. Any where else to look like Swap meets? Army surplus?
Am I missing something?
Thanks
What are you thinking about climbing with, and are you planning on using a platform?

Just Keep Your Membership Here Up...…. 10 years from now you'll still be buying and selling backpacks...
I starting to think It would have been cheaper to buy 20 tree stands and just hang then all over. Lol.
I want to be able to attach my helium sticks and predator or be able to pack a SRT set up in. Plus some food, pack my jacket. I want to have a h20 bladder so I don't have to mess with bottles.
Gonna try to wear my saddle in. So that should cover most of that. Someone had a Badlands super day back on here. But might be to big. I want to take everything up the tree with me.
You know. Not to big, not to small. Everything fits perfect. Quiet, fast and easy to pack. Light weight. You know. What everyone wants.

Like everything else it's difficult to get the goldilocks of packs. I bought and returned a few from Amazon as they have the return policy. Do you have a schells(is that how you spell it?) near you? Another thing I did was go to rei or similar store and visualize how much crap I'll pack, then narrow down size based on storage capacity. My load out is similar to yours.

Like everything else it's difficult to get the goldilocks of packs. I bought and returned a few from Amazon as they have the return policy. Do you have a schells(is that how you spell it?) near you? Another thing I did was go to rei or similar store and visualize how much crap I'll pack, then narrow down size based on storage capacity. My load out is similar to yours.
This is your best bet. Depending on your location, Scheels or Sportsman’s Warehouse are usually best. Cabelas and Bass Pro seem to have gotten rid of a lot of their packs the past couple years. That Amazon idea is split if you have the capital.

I starting to think It would have been cheaper to buy 20 tree stands and just hang then all over. Lol.
I want to be able to attach my helium sticks and predator or be able to pack a SRT set up in. Plus some food, pack my jacket. I want to have a h20 bladder so I don't have to mess with bottles.
Gonna try to wear my saddle in. So that should cover most of that. Someone had a Badlands super day back on here. But might be to big. I want to take everything up the tree with me.
You know. Not to big, not to small. Everything fits perfect. Quiet, fast and easy to pack. Light weight. You know. What everyone wants.
X2 is pretty versatile, Only drawback for me was the one main open top compartment.

If you have a scheels anywhere near you.. ours has some eberlestock and mystery ranch packs

Back