• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Where to buy spliced end climbing rope (for a linesman belt)?

Macchina

I'm currently using a sewn end rope that isn't of the best quality (very thick and stiff rope from Amazon). The stopper knot at the end is huge due to the stiffness of the rope. Is there a place I can buy a 10' length of climbing rope with a spliced loop on the end similar to what Tethrd sells but without the prusik or locker?

Lineman-2.jpg

I bought that exact rope from RW rope and spliced it myself

How difficult is it to splice predator yourself???

Currently looking at "Wild Line Ropes", they have spliced eye Predator rope 8' tethers and linesman belts.
Any idea what the difference is (aside from the eye size) between the two?

0637d7_048a4584dbcb443bb80c819473e29738~mv2.webp

It's just the eye size. The Tether uses the larger loop 4.5-5" so you can pass prusik loops or ropemans and carabiners through it. The linesman belt utilizes the smaller eye to secure it to your linesman loop on your saddle.

How difficult is it to splice predator yourself???

Currently looking at "Wild Line Ropes", they have spliced eye Predator rope 8' tethers and linesman belts.
Any idea what the difference is (aside from the eye size) between the two?

0637d7_048a4584dbcb443bb80c819473e29738~mv2.webp
Never done predator

I bought that exact rope from RW rope and spliced it myself
I bought their 30' safety rope with a caribiner and a spliced eye. I spliced it 2 more times and made 3 9' tethers out of it. One i use for linesman and other 2 for tethers. I bought them before they raised there price for maybe $45 i think, but with their April discount. Looks like it's $99 now...

Just make sure when you do splice it that you sew the splice so it won't come apart. With the way we girth hitch them and move them it could come apart. Can't be too careful when the tether is our lifeline.

Just make sure when you do splice it that you sew the splice so it won't come apart. With the way we girth hitch them and move them it could come apart. Can't be too careful when the tether is our lifeline.
The strength of a spliced eye is directly proportional to the length of the bury. The reason one would lock stitch an eye is to prevent it from working itself loose while not under tension.

Its a small distinction to make but stresses that the strength of a spliced eye is not dependent on the stitching.

The strength of a spliced eye is directly proportional to the length of the bury. The reason one would lock stitch an eye is to prevent it from working itself loose while not under tension.

Its a small distinction to make but stresses that the strength of a spliced eye is not dependent on the stitching.
Yeah but our tethers are not always under even tension. Theres a lot of bouncing and unweighting involved in adjusting the length and especially one sticking. I think sewing the splice to prevent it working loose is pretty good advice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yeah but our tethers are not always under even tension. Theres a lot of bouncing and unweighting involved in adjusting the length and especially one sticking. I think sewing the splice to prevent it working loose is pretty good advice.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That was exactly my point. Just didn't spell it out, and articulate it the way I should have. Also when used as a linesman the girth hitch is so tight around itself, there is room for it to loosen thus just an added safety measure. I know we all want to go home after a good time hunting.

Back