• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Where to start with one-sticking & rappelling

A.Becotte

I was looking to get pointed in the right direction in regards to one sticking and rappelling systems. I am trying not to throw too much money into this (just trying to buy a rappelling system and upgrade my EWO stick) and want to use some of the equipment I already have. I currently run a Seeker Platform and 3 EWO sticks (20 inch) with cable aiders using a Swaider. I love the set up, but what I have come to realize is how inefficient the system is when it is all said and done. Especially when it becomes dark in the afternoon. It would be nice to just rappel down, pull the rope out of the tree, roll up the rope, pick up my bow and walk out of the woods. Less fiddling with gear and less noise is what my objective is.

Does anyone know a good place to start? Or a good company for rappelling gear? I have looked around different websites and watched numerous videos and there is just a lot of information and I want to narrow it down a bit. Thank you so much in advance.

EWO sells rappel kits. Sounds like all you need is a rappel rope, and a way to descend. Descent is your choice, madrock/Gri-gri is popular for a reason, it's easy and simple but not fool proof, although very close. Next step would be a good hitch with a figure 8, it's also pretty straightforward and also allows hands free stops. Then there is the the munter or super munter which only requires a carabiner, not my favorite but certainly worth knowing even if it's just a back up plan. John RB has good videos for the hitch figure 8 and munter, they're very similar methods

EWO sells rappel kits. Sounds like all you need is a rappel rope, and a way to descend. Descent is your choice, madrock/Gri-gri is popular for a reason, it's easy and simple but not fool proof, although very close. Next step would be a good hitch with a figure 8, it's also pretty straightforward and also allows hands free stops. Then there is the the munter or super munter which only requires a carabiner, not my favorite but certainly worth knowing even if it's just a back up plan. John RB has good videos for the hitch figure 8 and munter, they're very similar methods
Also, what would you recommend for rope?

I'm inclined to use the madrock myself. I use my regular climbing stick(s) and a separate platform. Next would be the hitch with F8. I shy away from the munter, the regular version twists the rope, the super munter cancels the twist out but I found that to be too much friction in my testing. I also found the madrock and f8 much simpler

Edit: I have caynon Elite so it's in spec for the madrock. I would consider any 9mm rope though, the elite is closer to 10mm if the packabilty matters. It's not much but if it's important consider it so your only buying once ( for now lol)

Oh, there are ATC too. I haven't tried that yet. If you've been rock climbing and have a belay device, you can probably do some research and utilize that.

There is also a new to me concept of putting the figure 8 in the hitch so you just pull a bight through, clip in and go. Haven't tried that yet either. It's a slippery slope , this climbing and rappelling lol

Do you have a cam cleat on your stick? Makes moving the stick a little easier. You don't need a platform on it. But then you still have a platform and stick to pack when down. Just don't get caught in the grass is greener on the other side saddle hunter world. Everything has a down side and up side.
My point is simply you will find your self spending $200 bucks to slightly improve what you had. So if your trying to save money. Your on the wrong forum.
But also see what @Brocky has for ropes.

There is also a new to me concept of putting the figure 8 in the hitch so you just pull a bight through, clip in and go. Haven't tried that yet either.
you’ve been dancing around this for weeks, homie.
Sail that ship already!
At your own risk of course. Don’t blame me for mishaps nor for having way too much fun.

@A.Becotte I started rappelling with a Fig8 and a backup hitch, it’s fun and easy but a little fiddly. I moved to the configuration ol’ Horny mentioned above, it’s my favorite. I carry two Figure 8s, one backup in my saddle or pack that I can use normally and one that lives on my hitch/rope and that’s the one I use. I’ve posted a thousand pics of it lately but here’s mine loaded and starting to descend:CD7E265A-958E-4CF2-A86D-5D109B3ACDCB.jpeg9mm Sterling HTP mainline rope from Eastern Woods Outdoors (40’), Black Diamond Super 8 tied into Bluewater 7mm hitch cord, Trango auto-locking carabiner, Petzl oval quick link. I think the whole setup cost about $80-90, and at least $50 are the rope and shipping. unpictured is my backup hitch below that but it’s really not necessary for safety IMO and I just use it to hang from while transitioning ropes or if I don’t want to use my tether, and then as a brake strand tender.
Obligatory disclaimer: not a climbing instructor, just a hunter.

you’ve been dancing around this for weeks, homie.
Sail that ship already!
At your own risk of course. Don’t blame me for mishaps nor for having way too much fun.

@A.Becotte I started rappelling with a Fig8 and a backup hitch, it’s fun and easy but a little fiddly. I moved to the configuration ol’ Horny mentioned above, it’s my favorite. I carry two Figure 8s, one backup in my saddle or pack that I can use normally and one that lives on my hitch/rope and that’s the one I use. I’ve posted a thousand pics of it lately but here’s mine loaded and starting to descend:View attachment 968149mm Sterling HTP mainline rope from Eastern Woods Outdoors (40’), Black Diamond Super 8 tied into Bluewater 7mm hitch cord, Trango auto-locking carabiner, Petzl oval quick link. I think the whole setup cost about $80-90, and at least $50 are the rope and shipping. unpictured is my backup hitch below that but it’s really not necessary for safety IMO and I just use it to hang from while transitioning ropes or if I don’t want to use my tether, and then as a brake strand tender.
Obligatory disclaimer: not a climbing instructor, just a hunter.
Off-season man, that's time for endless experiments lol

Vital Ground Outdoors has the rappelling gear for good prices. I tried a Figure 8 a few times and ended up getting a Safeguard and I like that better, but keep the 8 for a backup in my bag.

I converted a Muddy Pro into a one-stick with a U.P. platform on top and EWO fixed step and standoff on the bottom. Works great for me with a two step aider.

Oh, there are ATC too. I haven't tried that yet. If you've been rock climbing and have a belay device, you can probably do some research and utilize that.

There is also a new to me concept of putting the figure 8 in the hitch so you just pull a bight through, clip in and go. Haven't tried that yet either. It's a slippery slope , this climbing and rappelling lol
Its real hard to beat the ATC if you dont want to use a mad rock in my opinion. with the right cord\hitch combo, you can tend it as you climb with the hitch and the rappel is nice and smooth. back it up with an auto block.

I was looking to get pointed in the right direction in regards to one sticking and rappelling systems. I am trying not to throw too much money into this (just trying to buy a rappelling system and upgrade my EWO stick) and want to use some of the equipment I already have. I currently run a Seeker Platform and 3 EWO sticks (20 inch) with cable aiders using a Swaider. I love the set up, but what I have come to realize is how inefficient the system is when it is all said and done. Especially when it becomes dark in the afternoon. It would be nice to just rappel down, pull the rope out of the tree, roll up the rope, pick up my bow and walk out of the woods. Less fiddling with gear and less noise is what my objective is.

Does anyone know a good place to start? Or a good company for rappelling gear? I have looked around different websites and watched numerous videos and there is just a lot of information and I want to narrow it down a bit. Thank you so much in advance.
I just did the same this season. I don’t have that many climbs but I’m about a season ahead of where you are right now. If you look at my threads I’ve made a very similar post too. Here’s where I’ve gotten.

I converted one of my hawk long sticks to a one stick with a two step aider. That’s three metal steps and two amsteel. I don’t use all of them every movement but sometimes I do. I put a cleat and rope on my stick. If you have those you’re already partway there. I found using the hawk cloth daisy chain was too painful, both in the standard way and in a buckles tie.

I got 40’ of sterling civ for my rappel rope and climbing tether. I use it for one stick and 2tc now. It’s good rope and the stiffness makes it great for 2tc. I went with a figure 8 and a hitch above it for both hanging on and as a rappel stopping device to grab platforms or sticks on the way down. I just picked up some resc tech for a tether and we’ll see how it goes as a top tether in 2tc. It’s smaller (good) and less stiff (maybe bad) than CIV so I might consider it as a top tether if I switch someday.

You’re going to need about $60 worth of rope, $15 for a figure 8, $5 for a quick link, and $20 for some 6-7mm rope for hitches. If you reuse the beaners you have now you wont need more. I bought spares because I got tired of swapping them. Then you’ll need 30’ of either paracord or dyneema for a pull-down rope with some kind of clip. if you said you’d be all in for $125 that would be about right for the things you don’t have.

I use and like a Madrock. I carry a figure 8 in my cargo pocket as a backup. You could use a carabiner with a with some form of munter hitch as your backup. As far far as rappel ropes go I'm happy with my 9mm Canyon Elete.

Its real hard to beat the ATC if you dont want to use a mad rock in my opinion. with the right cord\hitch combo, you can tend it as you climb with the hitch and the rappel is nice and smooth. back it up with an auto block.
So I use an ATC for rappelling but not for climbing……but I’ve never tried it. I guess the switch over isn’t bad, but it’d be nice to eliminate the move. I’ve used everything from a ropeman to just a hitch, that triangular device etc. except for trying a bunch of different self tending hitches, I’m back to a ropeman and still using a separate tether. I keep my rappel rope ready to use as a lineman’s belt if needed with the biner and pre tied hitch cord being easily accessible.
To simplify the SRT Maiden voyage, I went ahead and got a grigri +. It’s another of those ascend/descending devices I swore I’d never flip the bill for. That said, an ATC or F8 is cheap (<$20)and so are carabiners. Learn the munter and you can safely rappel with just a carabiner!

So I use an ATC for rappelling but not for climbing……but I’ve never tried it. I guess the switch over isn’t bad, but it’d be nice to eliminate the move. I’ve used everything from a ropeman to just a hitch, that triangular device etc. except for trying a bunch of different self tending hitches, I’m back to a ropeman and still using a separate tether. I keep my rappel rope ready to use as a lineman’s belt if needed with the biner and pre tied hitch cord being easily accessible.
To simplify the SRT Maiden voyage, I went ahead and got a grigri +. It’s another of those ascend/descending devices I swore I’d never flip the bill for. That said, an ATC or F8 is cheap (<$20)and so are carabiners. Learn the munter and you can safely rappel with just a carabiner!
yeah using it to climb eliminates the switch later,im always connected like you would be with the madrock and the ATC tends the hitch (i recommend a schwabisch hitch). This video explains it in good detail

yeah using it to climb eliminates the switch later,im always connected like you would be with the madrock and the ATC tends the hitch (i recommend a schwabisch hitch). This video explains it in good detail

This is almost exactly the same as the hitch/8 combo I posted. I don’t own an ATC but I have used them before. Either device (8 or ATC) attached to the hitch is self-tending for climbing and streamlines your rappel fiddles IMO.
Good stuff man.

This is almost exactly the same as the hitch/8 combo I posted. I don’t own an ATC but I have used them before. Either device (8 or ATC) attached to the hitch is self-tending for climbing and streamlines your rappel fiddles IMO.
Good stuff man.
I originally wanted to use my fig 8 but struggled with it through my own faults for this method and landed on the ATC. fig 8 still on me as a backup.

Back