• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which rope for Lineman’s?

steve-0h

I just ordered the oplux with duck from Wild Edge, and got another sewn oplux and jammy for my tether. My question is... Do you guys rock the oplux for your lineman’s belt, or do you prefer something a little stiffer in order to flip it up the tree and retain its shape?... While I’m stoked to get the oplux in and try it, my engineering mind makes me wonder if it’s the best solution for the lineman’s belt tasks.

I use HTP. Tried it first and have liked it for the stiffness. Don’t have plans to go to oplux for lineman’s. Use oplux for for tether/rappel ropes.

I use the WildEdge sewn OpLux with the Duck for both. I like having the same look and feel for both since I use my tether as a 2nd lineman’s to get over limbs. I tried the twist lock oval carabiner from WildEdge but swapped it out for @DanO screw lock.

9mm. I like the smaller diameter as it coils better in my storage pouch. Felt the 10 was unnecessary.

Another option for a lineman's is 5/16" UltraTech. OP asked me about this yesterday so I cut 11' off to test it out. I hadn't tried it before, but I'll be using it this year for my lineman's rope now (if I climb with sticks). It is just a tad stiffer than Oplux which helps to flip it up the tree. Its also easier to pack than HTP.

I made the switch to oplux for tether and lineman's. the weight savings was more important than stiffness to me.

Another option for a lineman's is 5/16" UltraTech. OP asked me about this yesterday so I cut 11' off to test it out. I hadn't tried it before, but I'll be using it this year for my lineman's rope now (if I climb with sticks). It is just a tad stiffer than Oplux which helps to flip it up the tree. Its also easier to pack than HTP.

X2 for the UltraTech. I use the slightly larger 3/8ths size and like the stiffness, light weight, strength and packability of it.

Dangit Dan, haven't you taken enough of my money!?!? Fine, guess I'll order some. Good grief. Just don't tell my wife.

I just ordered the oplux with duck from Wild Edge, and got another sewn oplux and jammy for my tether. My question is... Do you guys rock the oplux for your lineman’s belt, or do you prefer something a little stiffer in order to flip it up the tree and retain its shape?... While I’m stoked to get the oplux in and try it, my engineering mind makes me wonder if it’s the best solution for the lineman’s belt tasks.

I'm currently running Oplux and a Kong Duck for both lines. I don't currently have any issues with the Oplux as a lineman's rope. However, in my search for perfection, I'm currently waiting on some 10mm chafe sleeve to increase (hopefully) use-life and possibly the ease of flipping the rope up or down.

I think DaveT has been using it and liking it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm using Ultra Tech this year. A feature not mentioned so far is that it's pretty easy to splice.

Oplux with TRC as a prusik. All the knots, except prusik, are scaffold knots, except my stopper knot which is kind of a double fisherman onto itself. Light, compact, and the TRC grabs and releases well with the prusik. I slow climb with sticks and simple aider and don't climb huge trees, so I don't care about a stiff rope that I can flip easily. I was shocked by those ropes not melting when finishing the ends. Pretty neat stuff. Also hard to cut. Very durable ropes.

Back