• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which rope for wet freezing conditions? Tether, linemens, etc

chi0082

Hi guys, long time lurker, but just signed up. I just ordered an H2 saddle and looking to do all my ropes. I want to get ropes that will work under any weather condition, particularly wet freezing conditions. Anyone have any recommendations on a rope that's made particularly for wet conditions that won't absorb water and freeze?

Next question would be, anyone have any experience with friction/hitch knots slipping (distel, klemheist, schwabisch, etc) on wet or partially frozen ropes? Or is that impossible with a well tied hitch knot? Thanks!

I know climbing ropes often have a dry treatment to repel water. I am not sure which ones, as it varies, but the descriptions state whether they have it. They are typically more expensive. Under freezing conditions, I would only trust a toothed ascender.

I have no experience ice climbing, those guys have the answers you need. However, i do have a good amount of rock climbing training and experience, and would advise you that in freezing conditions it’s imperative to keep you tope as dry as possible. When the fibers freeze, they expand and break at the micro level. They also bind and kink unpredictably, and your devices may become frozen and not function properly.

If you want to hunt in an ice storm, minimize your reliance on small parts or rope fibers. Girth hitches and climber/ladder stands are IMO a safer option in ice. Unless the ice compromises the stands ability to bite into the tree, then maybe hunt on the ground. Ice can make branches and trees fall anyways.

Stay safe man and trust your gut, if your knees get shaky buy more health and life insurance or change your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience ice climbing, those guys have the answers you need. However, i do have a good amount of rock climbing training and experience, and would advise you that in freezing conditions it’s imperative to keep you tope as dry as possible. When the fibers freeze, they expand and break at the micro level. They also bind and kink unpredictably, and your devices may become frozen and not function properly.

If you want to hunt in an ice storm, minimize your reliance on small parts or rope fibers. Girth hitches and climber/ladder stands are IMO a safer option in ice. Unless the ice compromises the stands ability to bite into the tree, then maybe hunt on the ground. Ice can make branches and trees fall anyways.

Stay safe man and trust your gut, if your knees get shaky buy more health and life insurance or change your setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not an ice storm. But have you ever hunted in a drizzle and later on it turned into freezing rain or the temps dropped and everything started freezing towards evening? Those are the conditions we gotta prepare for. It'll catch you by surprise sometimes. So I'm preparing for anything.

Never had that happen (because it doesn’t get that cold here) but if it did, or I went further north, my lineman rope stays in an EWO fleece pouch and is the exact same setup as my tether so it can be changed out if it freezes up. Also have a separate rappel rope that stays in the pack. And I’d not be in a tree in conditions where my rappel rope had time to freeze before I can get down.

Last edited:
Oplux is pretty good in the rain, also sterling HTP. If you're uncertain lurk climbing forums or reach out directly to manufacturers. I can tell you from experience oplux is good in the wet and cold. Here's the kicker tho: DO NOT STOW WET LINE! It may seem obvious but you gotta hang that line so it dries completely before you stow it. Wet line is compromised line over time. Let it dry and you should be fine.

Oplux is pretty good in the rain, also sterling HTP. If you're uncertain lurk climbing forums or reach out directly to manufacturers. I can tell you from experience oplux is good in the wet and cold. Here's the kicker tho: DO NOT STOW WET LINE! It may seem obvious but you gotta hang that line so it dries completely before you stow it. Wet line is compromised line over time. Let it dry and you should be fine.
Thanks for the recommendations.

Not an ice storm. But have you ever hunted in a drizzle and later on it turned into freezing rain or the temps dropped and everything started freezing towards evening? Those are the conditions we gotta prepare for. It'll catch you by surprise sometimes. So I'm preparing for anything.

Some of the best time to hunt deer is sneaking into a location while it is raining and then be there when the rain clears and the temperature starts to drop. This time is also inherently miserable and slightly dangerous!

Some of the best time to hunt deer is sneaking into a location while it is raining and then be there when the rain clears and the temperature starts to drop. This time is also inherently miserable and slightly dangerous!
Yes my thoughts exactly that's why it's a major concern for me. I hunt in any weather and the best hunts have always been around a cold front and nasty weather. Shot my biggest buck to date right before a cold front moved through. Weather was miserable, drizzly, freezing, foggy and the big boys were moving.

Yes my thoughts exactly that's why it's a major concern for me. I hunt in any weather and the best hunts have always been around a cold front and nasty weather. Shot my biggest buck to date right before a cold front moved through. Weather was miserable, drizzly, freezing, foggy and the big boys were moving.

My bigger concern isn't a rope breaking. It is a friction hitch not holding. I started a thread about that just a day or so ago.

My bigger concern isn't a rope breaking. It is a friction hitch not holding. I started a thread about that just a day or so ago.
Yea that's what I was worried about too is the hitch slipping. Guess I'll just have to do my own testing at ground level with a wet rope and a half frozen one to see how the hitches hold up. Should be interesting.

Synthetic line(which is what we all use) sheds water unlike hemp or manilla which retains it. Having said that synthetic still retains good holding properties even when wet. I've used prusik, autoblocks and klemheist. All held well. The klemheist is easier to adjust. Just make sure you observe line sizing/small stuff guidelines and load the hitch correctly and I'd think you'll be fine.

Hi guys, long time lurker, but just signed up. I just ordered an H2 saddle and looking to do all my ropes. I want to get ropes that will work under any weather condition, particularly wet freezing conditions. Anyone have any recommendations on a rope that's made particularly for wet conditions that won't absorb water and freeze?

Next question would be, anyone have any experience with friction/hitch knots slipping (distel, klemheist, schwabisch, etc) on wet or partially frozen ropes? Or is that impossible with a well tied hitch knot? Thanks!

Check out the Sterling Canyon C-IV! @DanO sells it. That's what I'm currently using for my SRT line. Highly recommended, although I'm currently using Oplux for my tether and lineman's rope.

Check out the Sterling Canyon C-IV! @DanO sells it. That's what I'm currently using for my SRT line. Highly recommended, although I'm currently using Oplux for my tether and lineman's rope.
From Sterling regarding Canyon C-IV rope:
"Designed specifically for wet canyoneering conditions. A Technora® sheath and a braided polypropylene core give the C-IV superior resistance to abrasion and water absorption, while retaining desirable low-stretch characteristics."

NOTE: I have not personally tested this in freezing conditions yet.

From Sterling regarding Canyon C-IV rope:
"Designed specifically for wet canyoneering conditions. A Technora sheath and a braided polypropylene core give the C-IV superior resistance to abrasion and water absorption, while retaining desirable low-stretch characteristics."

NOTE: I have not personally tested this in freezing conditions yet.

That’s my SRT line too. Might have to order some shorter lengths for a tether and keep them around to use for those bad weather times.

So I’m struggling with making a decision. I was set on oplux until I started digging into these threads. Now I’m on the fence between oplux, canyon, or the Ultra tech. As of now I only rappel down. I don’t srt or single stick. But I may start playing with single stick. I have 4 mini shikars.

Seems oplux is best for packability but maybe not as durable. Seems the ultra tech is about as packable as oplux and more durable but costly(however it’s like $10 more for 35ft) , and the canyon seems to be what I’m leaning towards due to cost, durability, cold wet and or freezing weather. Maybe canyon isn’t as packable but isn’t way worse either.
Also I intend to go away from my atc and to a safeguard this year or next. Seems even though out of spec the safeguard is working fine with any of these ropes for you guys. Please help me quit racking my brain and just make a decision.

So I’m struggling with making a decision. I was set on oplux until I started digging into these threads. Now I’m on the fence between oplux, canyon, or the Ultra tech. As of now I only rappel down. I don’t srt or single stick. But I may start playing with single stick. I have 4 mini shikars.

Seems oplux is best for packability but maybe not as durable. Seems the ultra tech is about as packable as oplux and more durable but costly(however it’s like $10 more for 35ft) , and the canyon seems to be what I’m leaning towards due to cost, durability, cold wet and or freezing weather. Maybe canyon isn’t as packable but isn’t way worse either.
Also I intend to go away from my atc and to a safeguard this year or next. Seems even though out of spec the safeguard is working fine with any of these ropes for you guys. Please help me quit racking my brain and just make a decision.

I use Canyon C-IV with a Safeguard (it IS in spec) for single-sticking, rappelling, and SRT. 35' of Canyon will fit into a @DanO water bottle carrier with my Safeguard, delta link, carabiner, and tether adjustment handles.

I use Canyon C-IV with a Safeguard (it IS in spec) for single-sticking, rappelling, and SRT. 35' of Canyon will fit into a @DanO water bottle carrier with my Safeguard, delta link, carabiner, and tether adjustment handles.

That sounds pretty good. Right now I’m using a 10 or 11mm rope and it’s ok but much bulkier and I’d imagine 4-5oz heavier. Thanks.

Sorry to revive a fairly dead thread...

Wondering if you guys that are on the Canyon rope have used 9mm HTP static rope in the past and could offer up a comparison between the two? I'm currently using Oplux as my tether/climbing rope for 1-sticking, but have 40' of 9mm HTP static that I tie into for rappelling via ATC device. Looking for some comparisons on packability and rappelling ability between the HTP and Canyon ropes.

Sorry to revive a fairly dead thread...

Wondering if you guys that are on the Canyon rope have used 9mm HTP static rope in the past and could offer up a comparison between the two? I'm currently using Oplux as my tether/climbing rope for 1-sticking, but have 40' of 9mm HTP static that I tie into for rappelling via ATC device. Looking for some comparisons on packability and rappelling ability between the HTP and Canyon ropes.
Here are a few different rope sizes I have. All are about 35 feet. 9.0mm, 8.5mm, 8.0mm

Back