• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which to buy

Ronnin1010

So I’m still real new to all this and looking to buy a saddle. I was really looking at the Kestrel size 2 for hunting here in northern Wisconsin for cold weather and all that. My question is are the earlier versions that Aero Hunter put out just as good or better than the new stuff? I see quite a few of the Aero Hunter Evolutions being talked about and wasn’t sure if my first buy should be a brand new straight out of the package Kestrel or even a Tethrd Mantis or to try and get a nice used one? Still saving up for either one. Any input is welcomed. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have the kestrel and mantis. They are both great saddles. With me and my body type The kestrel beats the mantis once I’m setup at height in the tree. The mantis beats the kestrel between the truck up until I tether in. So for me the kestrel has a slight advantage in comfort but the mantis stays put and doesn’t pull my pants down on the walk it. The linesmans loops are farther forward making climbing a little easier but does give up some comfort. I want to give the kite a try but haven’t yet. It may be the best of both worlds or I may hate it. You and your body type may find the opposite to be true.

From what I understand they are all great saddles they have differences. I have a Kestrel and like it so much I see no reason to change, no complaints.

I have the kestrel and mantis. They are both great saddles. With me and my body type The kestrel beats the mantis once I’m setup at height in the tree. The mantis beats the kestrel between the truck up until I tether in. So for me the kestrel has a slight advantage in comfort but the mantis stays put and doesn’t pull my pants down on the walk it. The linesmans loops are farther forward making climbing a little easier but does give up some comfort. I want to give the kite a try but haven’t yet. It may be the best of both worlds or I may hate it. You and your body type may find the opposite to be true.

Your comments mimic my thoughts exactly. Except maybe an xlarge mantis might have solved the comfort issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

You definitely want to stick with either the Kestrel, the Mantis or the kite. There have been significant improvements in the newer saddles compared to the evolution. Mainly in the amount of material and bulk of the saddle. Plus the resale value is so high on all of these saddles you're not saving a ton of money by buying an older used one.

Thank you everyone for your input on this it has helped me make my decision. Now the waiting game of saving up enough to buy one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just sell your tree stand if you need to! Doubt you'd ever regret it. Even if you did, the resale value of saddles will far exceed stands for an unknown time period.

Back