• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Which to grab... JX3 or Merlin?!

Aaronpaul14

Tomorrow is the last day I can have a chance to fill my buck tag.

Getting kids to bed and then to prep my set up.

Do I take the JX3 or the Merlin?

Go super light and be on the move with the Merlin?

Or go to a promising pinch point and sit and wait in comfort in the JX3?

Our season in GA ended on 12/26 on National Forest. My last two hunts I elected to hunt from the ground as I was trying to save pack weight since I was hunting way back in an area I had never been. I had convinced myself I wouldn’t need to go to the trouble of climbing a tree since the terrain was so steep, and I would have a good field of view. WRONG! In both cases I would have been able to double the amount of ground I could observe with my rifle if I had been just 15 - 20’ up. Seems I have to keep relearning the same lessons.

Our season in GA ended on 12/26 on National Forest. My last two hunts I elected to hunt from the ground as I was trying to save pack weight since I was hunting way back in an area I had never been. I had convinced myself I wouldn’t need to go to the trouble of climbing a tree since the terrain was so steep, and I would have a good field of view. WRONG! In both cases I would have been able to double the amount of ground I could observe with my rifle if I had been just 15 - 20’ up. Seems I have to keep relearning the same lessons.
Been deer hunting now for 36 years and EVERY LAST single time I choose to not bring a stand and hunt on the ground I have regretted doing so and swear I'll never do it again
Last time I did it was 5 years ago when I found out the farm I was hunting was going to be sold by next year and this was my last deer season on it
Was really really bummed as it was under 2hrs from my home great turkey and good deer
Had scouted and prepped a tree decided to do a hang and hunt but was so depressed said screw it I'll just hunt a big blow down right by the tree I had prepared
HUGE mistake had a once in a life time buck come through that because of my position and the parts of the blow down blocking my shot he walked by on my left at less than 30 yards
Had I been up in the tree no doubt I would've had a shot opportunity
Paid the ultimate hunting price for letting self pity overcome my self discipline
I will never never EVER bow hunt from the ground EVER again unless I have absolutely no choice whatsoever and will then be much better prepared
I do not exaggerate one sintilla when I say that 9/10 hunters will go their entire lives and never get a buck that good with rifle range let alone bow.
Sulked over that one a very very long time
Hurts to even retell it here.
There are absolutely no advantages whatsoever to bow hunting on the ground vs from a elevated stand except in terms of safety, but if I'm that worried about safety I'll take up chess.

Back