• The SH Membership has gone live. Only SH Members have access to post in the classifieds. All members can view the classifieds. Starting in 2020 only SH Members will be admitted to the annual hunting contest. Current members will need to follow these steps to upgrade: 1. Click on your username 2. Click on Account upgrades 3. Choose SH Member and purchase.
  • We've been working hard the past few weeks to come up with some big changes to our vendor policies to meet the changing needs of our community. Please see the new vendor rules here: Vendor Access Area Rules

Whitetail Institute soil sample kit

ctbreitwieser

Anyone ever used these before putting out food plots? I'd like to start working on getting a plot ready, but it'd be in the woods and I'm afraid the soil won't be any good. I'm wondering how the results will come and if I'll even know what to do with the results when I get them.

I think the whitetail institute will tell you exactly what you need. I never used them but had soil samples done with at the local coop. And you have to interpret what the rest mean. I think the whitetail Institute takes it a bit further and explains it for their product. Or at least I’m sure if you call them and tell them your results and what you want to plant they will tell you exactly what to do. I use there seeds a lot.

I'm so hoping we can have an area here to discuss this topic and more people are interested as I have just done it for the first year this past season. I don't own a tractor yet so I use my old four wheeler to disc with a ground hog max....don't worry I have videos and tons of trail cam photos of the success the first year......

I used it last year and it comes back fast and with exact ratios. It’s very much worth the $13 given what the lime fertilizer and seed is going to cost. We had great and fast germination then the deluge of rain all fall hit and stunted it but that wasn’t anyone’s fault. If you are going to do the time and money to do a plot the test is a no brainer. State research lanes do them too and costs are similar. You need to take a lot of samples from the plot area and mix it together and can only test one area per submission. I initially collected samples before ordering the kit only to find I did not gather nearly enough material and my lease is three hours from my house so I had to go back. Which was awesome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm so hoping we can have an area here to discuss this topic and more people are interested as I have just done it for the first year this past season. I don't own a tractor yet so I use my old four wheeler to disc with a ground hog max....don't worry I have videos and tons of trail cam photos of the success the first year......

Dude I did mine by hand with a rake and Rototiller

Great info! Thanks! This will be my first time dealing with a food plot aside from some turnips we planted on the edge of our cornfield years ago. How big plots are you guys doing? This first one will most likely be under an acre.

Great info! Thanks! This will be my first time dealing with a food plot aside from some turnips we planted on the edge of our cornfield years ago. How big plots are you guys doing? This first one will most likely be under an acre.
All of mine are in the woods and well under a 1/4 acre.

you can also get soil samples done at your local Co op. Another option is to ask the farmer who currently works the ground or ground near by. They are getting so many samples done (usually for free) they may be willing to add it to their pile. I guess there is a little more of a chance for error or mixup though.

My biggest plot is 1 acre. I would definitely recommend a screen. Dropping/hingeing some trees in wooded areas or planting some Egyptian wheat in open areas. I noticed a HUGE diffence in daytime usage when I planted screens.

Anyone ever used these before putting out food plots? I'd like to start working on getting a plot ready, but it'd be in the woods and I'm afraid the soil won't be any good. I'm wondering how the results will come and if I'll even know what to do with the results when I get them.

The Whitetail Institute soil test is a great product. Even if you don’t plan to use their seed, just find something they offer that’s close to what you’re planting. The lime and fertilizer recommendation will be very specific.

It’s nice to know what soil conditions your dealing with and mandatory with a small deep woods plot that needs to be very efficient.

Then watch my favorite food plotter guy: Don Mealey... his videos are funny too

I love that guys videos too, but mainly for entertainment. He’s big on plowing and turning over the soil every year which is counter productive. He gets away with it planting Iowa bottomland but even there it’s not the best practice. Other than that, he does have great information on food plots.

I recommend “The deer hunter” forum and “Habitat Talk” for lots of food plotting information.

Last edited:

“Growing Deer tv” “Whitetail Habitat Solutions” and “The Management Advantage” on YouTube are great sources of info.

My only problem with Don Mealy is there are some things he is just flat wrong on, and won’t accept any imperial evidence because it contradicts with his opinion. Most of his info is spot on, but some details from have to be taken with a grain of salt. He is definitely entertaining to say the least.

I’ve planted a 1/3 acre plot on my dad’s small place for a few years now (he is expanding that to 1 acre this spring), and I will be planting 5 acres out next year.

Back